Algae overboard!!

newbiesalt

I recently got a 10gal salt water tank and its starting to build up a nice amount of algae i was thinking of getting an algae eater for my tank, i just wasnt sure if there were algae eaters for salt water or not, and anyother advice you could give would be GREAT, thanks a lot!

b_ball12_99

Welcome to the board! I bet you have brown algea with the new set up. If so it is diatoms. You shouldn't add fish yet unless they are for cycling. Add a clean up crew (consisting of hermits and snails) to clean it up. Need anymore help just post and you will get answers. By the way, what are your water readings?

newbiesalt

thanks again! this board really does rule, i'm not sure on my water settings, i'll check them later today, i just bought 2 turbo snails and put them in there, will that be enough? or should i go down and get more, id ont think my lfs had hermits :(

dseiler

I wouldn't add anyting else until you are done cycling. BTW what are you cycling with? Wait until your amonia and nitrItes are at zero and your nitrates are at least below 40 then you could SLOWLY add livestock.

b_ball12_99

As for the # i have 6 hermits in a 5 gallon. I would like to have 2 snails in my tank. Might be best to wait just a bit for your readings to bottom out.

newbiesalt

well i put in live sand and it said "instant cycle" so i added a few damsels to cycle with it. is that bad?

dathem

Hello,
The live sand product that said instant cycling would have been all you needed to cycle the tank. I have used it twice with great success, would use it again. The damsels are not bad to cycle with, but they are bad fish. They get mean as they get bigger, and with a 10 gal tank you can't really add much more if you keep the damsels. If you are happy with just having the damsels them you will have no problems with them. You might be able take them back and get something else, like a clown fish. Good luck on your tank, but just go slow with plenty of patience.

b_ball12_99

I agree completly. You will want to remove the damsels later unless they are what you really want to keep. Also, taking it slow is the best way in saltwater.