Algae Problem

srt80

Ok, I have a 29 gallon setup. 2 Ocellaris Clownfish and 4 green Chromis. I used the 4 chromis to cycle the tank. After 6 weeks I added the clowns. The tank is 11 weeks old now. I'm noticing now that on the crushed coral there is some stringy looking brown stuff growing...hair algae? I have also noticed a little on an artificial anemone (sea garden). There is also a little brown algae growing on the back wall and a little on the decoration. Is there any way to control or get rid of this? Please let me know. I would appreciate any help.
Thanks,
Steve

razoreqx

Originally posted by SRT80
Ok, I have a 29 gallon setup. 2 Ocellaris Clownfish and 4 green Chromis. I used the 4 chromis to cycle the tank. After 6 weeks I added the clowns. The tank is 11 weeks old now. I'm noticing now that on the crushed coral there is some stringy looking brown stuff growing...hair algae? I have also noticed a little on an artificial anemone (sea garden). There is also a little brown algae growing on the back wall and a little on the decoration. Is there any way to control or get rid of this? Please let me know. I would appreciate any help.
Thanks,
Steve

Hi Steve,
Most likely this is diatoms, which is normal after a tank cycle.. Best thing to do is clean this up by removing decorations and doing a small water change after cleaning off all other surfaces.. (remove /clean items, clean glass, clean filter with RO water (dont replace yet) and partial water change, run carbon) .. it will be gone by sunday..
Or you can purchase a creature that eats algae.. like a lawnmower blennie.. (more of a long term solution)

ricktheman

also u can take out the stuff and bleach it it makes it look so much cleanner and not always will the alge eaters take cre of the alge
ricktheman

I

ivanfj

Take out the 4 green chromis would help IMO. You are a little overstocked here and your tank is still considered young and it may not be able to handle the current bioload. Have you your water parm??? You may wanna consider switching the CC to LS. Just a thought.