Algae Problem?

bmw545

I have a real algae problem on my subtrate. I clean it every week and it keeps coming back. All my numbers are perfect, except my Nitrate which is at 20ppm and I can't seem to get it lower. My clean up crew is:
(1) sally light foot crab
(4) peppermint shrimp
(1) cleaner shrimp
(1) cleaner clam
(11) Mexican turbo snail
(8) hermit crabs
I have a 90 gal. tank. Is the cleanup crew big enough? If not, what more shoud I add?
Also, will any of the above get ick? I think one of the fish I have my have ick. I plan on removing it to a QT.
Any suggestions will be helpful.

cross

no way, you need about 50 blue leg crabs, 40 turbo snails. this would help alot. do more water changes. about 5 % a week untill you get your nitrate down and use RO or distilled water. hope this helps..

murph145

i would check your phosphates also they are probably high too....
i had a slightly elevated phosphate and it caused a nuiscance algae problem such as red slime, hair algae and brown diatoms on the substrate.... u need to use a phosphate remover and do water changes to get it lower....
what kind of water are u using for top off and changes??
i would add more to your clean up crew but i think ur main prob will be the nitrates and phos.... elevated levels of this cause algae blooms

57chev

BMW545, I'm gonna give you my advise on the nasty hair algae curse. Not everone will agree with me on all of what I have to say but I can asure you I've had a reef up for over eight years and I've been to hell and back with this stuff and I'll tell you what works, for sure, some of the time, part of the time, and non of the damn time. It is true that hair algae loves phosphates and silica, and ofcourse light, and eliminating or reducing these things will help curb it to a degree, but here's the thing a perfectly healthy reef with good water quality can grow hair algae, especially if your reef has ever had it before! Water changes are the quickest way to get your PO4 under control assuming your using RO water or a water source that has no PO4 in it. Here's the hard part and the part that always pisses me of when people pipe off and say it, that is, all you have to do is worry about water quality and get it right and the hair algae goes away. Not true! The hair algae that is in your tank stores enough nutrients within itself to grow at an alarming rate with perfect water readings! Dont be fooled just because the cheap Charlie test kits we all have read zero. Testing phosphates is fine, I do, but does it really matter? No matter what the test says you gotta problem. Its like a heart problem, once you have one, you dont cure it, you manage it! So, here's my 2 cents on how to get rid of it including all the blatently obvious overplayed things that are repeated over and over again. Bigger and longer established tanks are harder to treat than smaller ones for sure.
1) Do water changes ofcourse, but rig yourself up a rigid length of clear tubing to your siphon hose to control and vacuum up all the loose algae and reef debris.
2) To really get a head start take some of the rocks out of the tank and dip them into a bucket of salt water and scrub the algae off with a toothbrush.
3) Cutting your light time, and reducing your feedings are certainly helpful at least until you get it under control.
4) Get or make sure your skimmer is running properly! And replace your prefilter media constantly.
5) When selecting a clean-up crew, be careful not to over do it at first! Its great to have a snail for every gallon like some people say, and all the other cute little criters, and I dont totally disagree, but if you put a lot them in your tank and some die off, (and they always do) you've now created more fuel for your algae. Big time!
6) Dump in some long spiny urchins, you cant kill hardly em, and they really mow! They can tip things over though, so watch em! Their a little slow, but over all these are my favorite, and did I mention their tougher than heck!
7) The phos-ban products do help, but their expensive and with all the other factors they alone wont eliminate your algae only help manage it after you've gottin rid of a lot of it. I like the slower acting stuff for a long term preventative measure.
8) UV stearlization is good for some things, but worthless for hair algae.
9) Adding fish that eat algae is more preventative than a cure, and if you have a real problem will only help minimally. Anytime you can just add a fish or two and eliminate your algae, you dont have a real problem.
10) Increasing reef circulation will help by keeping the reef dust kicked up so it easier for the filters to get it out of your tank.
The bottom line on all this is to get it under control you have to get a little drastic, or you wont get it under control. From that point on its prevention. Hope this helps.

reefreak

BMW I am glad you made this post. As I read your post I thought you were describing my tank. I have the exact same problem
It is very frustrating. Chev, thanks for the advise. You have definately helped more than one person here. This forum is a great help