ALGAE QUESTIONS

squareferrin

My tank has been up for a month, 130 gallon. I have 6 Damsels, 2 clowns, and 1 yellow tang. All my tests say everything is good. Now I have algae on the front glass, which I guess is good, but we have red, or brown algae on the Live sand and rocks. All fish are doing fine, and I think I just need to clean the front glass. Let me know if there is any problems I can solve now before things change for the worse. Filter is a Fluval 404. and I have three 550 Powerheads moving water. I used crushed oystershells, 150 lbs of play sand, and 60 lbs of live sand on top of that. Only have about 10 lbs of live rock. Thanks for any help :rolleyes:

marine qa

I clean my glass every week.
Did this tank cycle before putting in the tang?
I presume you will get more LR later. My Clown likes to swin in and around the LR in my tank.

jim672

It sounds as if your tank has not finished cycling. What are your water parameters? If you haven't completed your cycle, you may want to consider trying to return the tang to the lfs where you bought it....at least until the cycle is completed.
If you are going to keep tangs and other grazing species, like the smaller (centropyge) variety of angel fish, you'll want to add lots of live rock. the die-off from adding lots of lr will likely start another cycle so, again, check your parameters carefully and don't add any fish until the cycle is complete.
Jim

squareferrin

Just tested water, ph 8.2 Amonia .25 Nitrite .50 Nitrate 10
the tank looks about the same as lastnight, and all the fish look good.