Algea Problem

beaker

I have 2 tanks, both are having some algea issues...heres what i got
Tank #1

This tank is almost 3 years old. I bought it from a friend about 2 months ago (it was moved, water included) when i got it, there were no traces of algea in the tank. Now that ive moved it, i have a nice outbreak of brown algea (this came up within the last week) I figure its just a stage its going through, but is there anything i can do to make this clear up and stop it from becoming a bigger problem? Right now I only have a spotted hawk, bi-color blenny, stripped damzel, 2 percula clowns, and a anemone. (all which came with the tank)
Tank #2 (the big problem!)

This tank is about a year and a half old. It used to look like this:

I had to move about 6 months ago, it took the move pretty well, nothing died. About 2 months ago, i got this green stringy algea growning in it. I bought some more emerald crabs and a lawn mower blenny, as well as a rabbit fish. well, the rabbit fish died and the crabs and the blenny arent eating any of it. it has totally consumed my tank and i cant get rid of it.
I even tried this stuff recomended by my LFS, but it didnt work

Someone else suggested scrubbing my LR with a tooth brush and syphoning it out, but the problem is that i have a hundred or so baby brittle stars in there and they love to hang out in the algea

In this tank I have blue and red leg hermits, 2 large brittle stars and tons of babies, 2 emerald crabs, a cleaner shrimp, pepermint shrimp, lawn mower blenny and other fish that really dont apply to this.
As you can see here, its strangling my corals from all light, its kinda upsetting me and its a very bad eyesore in my livingroom. I didnt spend $$$ to harvest greens :mad:

-Brad
bradmartin1@hotmail.com

rockster

I will leave the explanation as to what have caused the outbreak to the experts. I can only suggest getting some clean-up crew for the hairy algae. Tangs absolutely will feast on those greens. My mimic tang will have a grand time in your tank, I'm sure. Lawnmower blennies also will enjoy them greens.

jdl/dayton

IT is likely your problem is that window. I would suggest getting some heavy drapes and completely blocking all light coming in. I used to have my tank in a location where it got morning sunlight for an hour. I was constantly fighting algae till I got some heavy drapes over the window.
That sunlight + maturation (aka ready supply of nitrate) of your tank= hair algae.

trompet3

The top tank looks to me like cyanobacteria. I bet your phosphates are way high - get some phosgaurd for short term removal and do a ton of water changes with R/O water while siphoning out the crap. Using a net to scoop out the slime on the sand might help.
With the second tank, you're also going to need lots of water changes with R/O. You should definitely pull out as much of the algae as you can because improving your water will help stop it but not get rid of the existing problem, and no cleanup crew is going to take care of that much algae. Pulling out as much as possible will help the smothered corals as well. Forget the brittle stars for now. I'm sure there will still be plenty left in the sand bed etc. They'll come back fast. It seems like there is also a good deal of hair algae attached to the glass...get a new razor blade and scrape it off and carefully pull that out of the tank making sure to not let it get loose and just deposit back in the tank.
You've got a long process of water changes ahead, and you may be picking algae out every few days, but you're gonna have to be patient and persistant. Also, I agree you need to cover up the window. Trying to rid the problem with quick fixes -ie. chemicals- will not solve anything. Your water chemistry is still going to make the problem persist. I would get some Seachem Phosgaurd to put in though just to supplement water changes b/c your problem is so bad.

beaker

Originally posted by Excite74:
<strong>Get kick Ich* from your lfs ...</strong><hr></blockquote>
kick eh?

broomer5

I'm with Sammy on this one.
Are you using RO or RO/DI water ?
If not and you're using tapwater ... it may be possible that since you moved to this new location, the water isn't so good.
I also agree with the ambient lighting coming in from the window. Even if those shades are drawn shut, there is still a lot of "white" light available for the full day.
What are your nitrate and phosphate levels ?