alk and ph problem

joncat24

sea chem reef status test kit
sg 1.026
temp 79.4
ph 7.6-7.8
kh 100ppm
ca 420
I use instant ocean reef crystals and do 20 gallon water changes weekly on my tank.
let me also add these
amm---0
nitrite--0
nitarte 40
anybody got any clues???

L

lbaskball

joncat i have also had this problem and have posted many things. It seems whenever you try to adjust the ph, the calcium goes does or the alk shoots very high. I am too frustrated. I heard if you want your ph to go up slightly higher, make sure its getting air inside the tank. Maybe leaving the hood open or something. I am still working out my tank.

joncat24

I dont have a hood or lids on the atnk...totally open. I have approx 7500 gph flow with the top of the water rolling for surface agitation so gas exchange is not a problem

sergeant

Re-test your water. If you have a problem with one of them usually two of them are out of wack. One would be too high and the other too low.

joncat24

i tested twice already top be sure. I added a dose of a+b buffer (kent). will retest in the am and see where it is and go from there.
thats the only thing I can think of, short of another water change. The reason I say water change is due to the nitrates, which are also out of whack all of the sudden :notsure: :notsure:

cjml

Ph- a never ending problem....mine runs just about 8.0-I hate adding "additives" to try and get it a little higher-seems to throw everything else out of whack. Ph,alkalinity,co2,o2-calcium-hard to get it right! Experts???

earlybird

Shouldn't need to buffer for pH but instead maintaining alk and ca levels to get pH right.
"Alkalinity of a solution refers to its capacity to buffer against drops in
pH. Higher alkalinity affords greater ability to prevent rapid pH
swings... 'carbonate hardness' has been used to describe alkalinity, but
this refers only to the carbonate and bicarbonate portions of alkalinity
and does not take into consideration the other compounds involved.
Therefore alkalinity is generally slightly higher than carbonate hardness."
(Delbeek, Spotte)
Not sure of the conversion of ppm of kh but alk should be 8 to 11 dKH or 2.86 to 3.89 meq/L. Are you dosing kalk?

bang guy

The Alkalinity is a bit low. Try using baking soda to raise it up to at least 150ppm, 175 at the most.
This will see if it's just the low ALK causing the low PH. If PH is still low for a few days after getting the Alkalinity up then write back and we'll go from there.
Also, if you could, test PH in the morning before the lights come on and again in the evening before the lights go off and post those here.

joncat24

just tested it 4:30 p.m.
ph8.2
alk 180
ca 440
sg 1.026
temp 79.4
amm 0
nitrite 0
trates 40
Like I said , I added a small (one cap each) of a and b buffer last night. all seems to be well right now except for trates. I am doing a 20 gallon w/c in the morning for that.

hatessushi

You might want to check the magnesium levels also. If magnesium is low then your calcium and alk are hard to keep stable. The Mag level should be about 1250 or a bit higher.
I have had the same problem with my pH around 7.8 and determined that it really isn't a problem as long as it's fairly stable by about .1 point a day. Seawater runs from 7.8 in the open sea to 8.4 in reef area. I wanted mine higher but didn't want my alk to raise to much. I use baking soda about once a week. Once I put the baking soda in the pH goes down about .02 and then slowly making its way up from 7.8 to around 7.94. My Orp (Oxygen redux Potential) goes up also to around 329. Ideal Orp would be around 340 but is good to have a high Orp. If Orp is below 300 then there is a problem with the tank and can be dangerous to the fish if it stays that way.
Also Orp goes up at night since photosynthesis is not taking place whereas pH goes down at night but goes up during the day when photosynthesis is taking place.

bsd230

Add Seachem reef buffer or Seachem marine buffer to your water when changing or dissolve in a cup of tank water before adding. Most of the time reef salts won't have enough to keep your ph 8.3 or dkh 8-12. I use marine buffer when I need to raise my ph and my alk and use reef buffer when I only need to raise my ph. You would be better off just using regular salt and using buffers. Reef salts in theory are nice but most reef tanks will need additional buffers to maintain stable ph/alk numbers. Your PH will also be higher in the evening than in the morning so take that into account when you are testing.

acrylic51

Originally Posted by HatesSushi
You might want to check the magnesium levels also. If magnesium is low then your calcium and alk are hard to keep stable. The Mag level should be about 1250 or a bit higher.
I have had the same problem with my pH around 7.8 and determined that it really isn't a problem as long as it's fairly stable by about .1 point a day. Seawater runs from 7.8 in the open sea to 8.4 in reef area. I wanted mine higher but didn't want my alk to raise to much. I use baking soda about once a week. Once I put the baking soda in the pH goes down about .02 and then slowly making its way up from 7.8 to around 7.94. My Orp (Oxygen redux Potential) goes up also to around 329. Ideal Orp would be around 340 but is good to have a high Orp. If Orp is below 300 then there is a problem with the tank and can be dangerous to the fish if it stays that way.
Also Orp goes up at night since photosynthesis is not taking place whereas pH goes down at night but goes up during the day when photosynthesis is taking place.
Agree it's more about keeping it stable and the ole staple of 8.3 PH isn't needed.......My Ca is 450, Mag is 1300, Alk is 11, and PH stays around 8.22-8.25, and ORP is usually around 350-360.......