Alk. too high

craig110768

I made some RO water last night - just got the RO unit. I added the salt and got the PH to 8.2 using proper PH. Everything was looking good up until this point.
I then added some baking soda to increase the Alk., as it was soo low. I overdosed - its now at 20 degrees in my storage container.
Are there any good solutions to reducing the ALK. back down to 8 degrees. Or do I have to through the water out, and start again.
Any comments.

broomer5

I'd scrap it and start over.
Overdosing bakling soda is not uncommon.
Lucky it was just a batch of saltwater for a water change and not the tank.
What brand of saltmix are you using Craig ?
What was the pH and alk of the mixed saltwater batch ?
You should not have to add a pH adjuster to newly mixed saltwater ?
Can you describe your mizing procedure with times included ?

craig110768

Thanks for the quick response. I will scrap the current water
I have always used Florida tapwater, and have always added Proper PH as the PH has been too low, even with salt added and aged for 1 day. I cannot remember the name of the brand - but its a good one.
My tap water was at 13 degree Alk before adding anything to it, which is a little high.
I got the RO a week ago, and just fitted it. The RO water was almost zero if not zero in Alk. terms. I guess that would be normal.
So you are saying that I should not need to add PH adjustments when the salt is added as that will correct the PH. Is that right. Please confirm.
So really I should only need to add some buffer to the RO water after the salt has been added, or will the salt, buffer it to at least 8 degrees by itself?
I should have checked the PH after the salt was added to the RO, but just into the habit, of adding 3 scoops for 30 gallons. That has been fine for tap water, but obviously not for RO water.
I do water changes of 35 gallons every 4 weeks. This was my first time with RO water though.
Any comments, to get me on the right lines regarding RO water.
Craig

broomer5

Craig,
I struggled with my mixed saltwater too after getting my RO/DI unit up and running.
I tried a lot of different things - but was unhappy with the results.
I use Instant Ocean brand saltmix.
Finally I called Aquarium Systems - the company that makes Instant Ocean - and talked to one of their tech guys.
I'll try to repeat what he and I discussed, what to do and why, when using RO or RO/DI water for the freshwater source.
Water that leaves a municipal water treatment plant often times has a lot of CO2 gas in it. It travels to our homes in pipes. The CO2 gas has nowhere to escape, and stays in the tapwater.
When you run this tap water through an RO membrane, most of the bad stuff is removed. Some of the good stuff is removed too, such as bicarbonates and other minerals. These carbonates, bicarbonates and minerals tend to keep the pH of the freshwater up above 7.0
My tapwater measures out around 8.5 to 9.0 - very high for tap water. Lots of minerals and stuff in it I guess.
When you remove these elements and minerals - you're RO water should be mostly free of them, and the pH will measure somewhere around a neutral 7.0 or so.
Since you removed most of the bicarbonates, carbonates and minerals - you're alkalinty should be very low as well.
You've made a good batch of RO water, with neutral pH and very low alkalinity ..... which is really great for mixing with the dry saltmix.
Here lies a very big potential problem though;
That CO2 gas that may be in the city water / tap water - does not get removed. It can pass right on through the RO membrane. All of it does not pass though, but a lot can.
So this new batch of RO water you think is ready to go - isn't ready yet. It may still have a very high concentration of CO2 gas still in solution.
CO2 gas in saltwater will decrease the pH.
CO2 gas in a freshly mixed batch of saltwater will decrease the pH as well - and cause a loss of alkalinity.
If unaware of this occurance - when you mix new saltwater, you find that your measurements don't look so good - and it makes you scratch your head wondering why.
So all you have to do is aerate the RO water overnight before mixing the saltmix into it.
Run your RO unit as you normally would into your mixing container, tub or bucket.
Toss is a powerhead. I lay mine on the bottom of the tub with the jet pointing up. Plug the sucker in and let it run overnight.
This will allow the "excess" CO2 gas in the RO water to escape from the water, and it will finally reach a point called equalibrium.
There's still some CO2 gas in the RO water - but it's where it should be, or more accurately said - under the surrounding air's CO2 gas concentration, it's where it's allowed to be.
Next day - slowly pour the saltmix into the water, stirring it with a large plastic spoon. Add enough to get your salinity the same as your display tank. I like to mix mine to a S.G. or 1.024 at room temperature of about 75F.
Now let it run overnight again with the powerhead going, and a heater if necessary. This practice is very common in the hobby, and insures that the salt and minerals are dissolved well, and allows the chemistry to become stable. Again it's mostly a gas issue here - making sure the saltwater again reaches it's new equalibrium.
Next day - do your alkalinity, pH and calcium tests on this batch.
I bet you'll find your pH is at 8.2 to 8.3
Your alkalinity is around 8 - 9 dkh
And your calcium levels are near 380 ppm.
Or very near these levels.
No need to tweek the values of the new saltwater in the mixing tub. If you have the above readings, then it's about perfect as far as the tech guy told me.
If you do start messing around with it, adding additives or trying to tweek the levels, most likely you'll do just that ............. mess it all up.
It's normally better to adjust any alkalinity, calcium or pH levels in the display tank - slowly.
I wish you much luck ( but luck has very little to do with it ) ;)

craig110768

Thanks a lot. You have been a great help.
I will experiment with some newly made RO water to night.
Thanks again

craig110768

When I make some RO/DI water for topping-up. I was also thinking of moving this RO water into 4 of my 5g plastic containers.
I usually go through a 5g container a week for top-up water. If I made 4 containers at a time, would the water become stagnent (spelling wrong) over say 4 weeks, or is it better to make it, each week?
any comments
Craig

broomer5

You can pre-make your RO water for future use.
You can keep it in containers until you're ready to use it.
I would suggest allowing the container to at least vent somewhat before using it - although this is not absolutely necessary.
I keep my RO/DI water for top offs in a 5 gallon bucket with a minijet powerhead running in it 24/7.
It's all about entrapped gasses - primarily CO2

iechy

Is it ok to keep already mixed saltwater in a sealed container until use provided that it circulated for a few hours before use? I just did a water change and because I accidentally dumped in too much salt I had to add more water and so I had some left over after the water change. It wouldn't kill me to throw it out but since I have it and will need it one day I thought I'd just keep it.