Alkalinity / Red Slime Question

estein02

I believe that I have started to get red slime algea on my sand. I've attached some pictures hoping someone can confirm what I think it is. There not the best but I'm hoping their good enough. It is a deep red and I've noticed a few stingy things growing from it...not a lot, but just doesn't look good.
I tested the water tonight to see if everything was okay and it was...accept for the Alkalinity which measured 13.6 dkh (if done correctly with Salifert). Temp is 78...salinity is 1.025...pH 8.4...amm, trite, trate and phosphate are all 0...calcium is 420.
Assuming the I tested Alk correctly could the elevated level cause the red slime? How do I get it down to 8?
Thanks for the help...AGAIN!

snaredrum

I would think that the area in the picture might be in a low flow area. And yes, it looks like cyano. I had the same problem and found out it was when I was out of town and my son spilled a little to much food in. Well it sat in the coroner with little to no flow and good lighting and me NOT knowing it happened. End story Red Slime. I sucked out as much as I could. Reduced feeding and lighting with no luck. I ended up using Antired to fix the problem. I would recommend not using meds(antibotics) unless it the last resort. It took 2 weeks and 4 25% water changes to get my stuff looking good again. By the way, I didn't loose a thing this time. There are tons of posts on this subject. I would start reading before it gets to bad. Good Luck.

estein02

Originally Posted by Snaredrum
I would think that the area in the picture might be in a low flow area. And yes, it looks like cyano. I had the same problem and found out it was when I was out of town and my son spilled a little to much food in. Well it sat in the coroner with little to no flow and good lighting and me NOT knowing it happened. End story Red Slime. I sucked out as much as I could. Reduced feeding and lighting with no luck. I ended up using Antired to fix the problem. I would recommend not using meds(antibotics) unless it the last resort. It took 2 weeks and 4 25% water changes to get my stuff looking good again. By the way, I didn't loose a thing this time. There are tons of posts on this subject. I would start reading before it gets to bad. Good Luck.
When I first noticed it...probably 2 - 3 weeks ago I started reading to see what it was and how to get rid of it. The area where it is happening is at the back of the tank, so I thought it was a flow issue and added a small maxi-jet PH (think it is the 400). Put it on the glass on the side of the tank and have it directed across the bottom. I don't have it pointed directly at the sand, but I thought I put it in an area where the water flow help. Maybe I need to rething the placement of all of PHs. Currently have 3 in a 65 gallon tank (1 seio 620, 1 maxi-jet 1200 and the 400). I currently have no fish in the tank so over-feeding isn't an issue. I recently add zoos and increased the lighting to 8 hours, but from what I've read, decreasing the lighting won't help. My water has tested fine eccept for alkalinity which is high. Maybe the 400 doesn't create enough flow. It has gotten a little worse the past couple of days...might need to try a chemical, but I really don't want to. Any suggestions or other things I should check for?

farslayer

I'll just chime in on the flow issue. I've never had any success removing red slime by increasing flow. I know a lot of people have, but I had red slime growing on the sand and rocks right in front of my Seio, getting blasted but hanging on. I ended up using chemi clean and the slime was completely gone in 24 hours. Just my two cents :)

anonome

My opinion......you say you have no fish in the tank, so I am assuming this is a new tank?....If so, then unfortunately, it may be a normal process of the tank. Or, it could be a nuisance. I have for example, one rock and only one, that since I have put it in the tank....and yes, have moved it to various places, and it still grows red slime no matter what I do. I have scrubbed it, and pretty much everything except boil it. Nothing but syphoning has worked, but not gotten rid of it.
From the picture, it looks like it is maybe blocked by the other rock....maybe move the one to get more flow to the effected area. But, I would suction out the red slime before doing this. Red slime, if free floating in a tank will attach somewhere else.

rbaldino

Originally Posted by Farslayer
I'll just chime in on the flow issue. I've never had any success removing red slime by increasing flow. I know a lot of people have, but I had red slime growing on the sand and rocks right in front of my Seio, getting blasted but hanging on. I ended up using chemi clean and the slime was completely gone in 24 hours. Just my two cents :)
I have to second this. When I do get red slime, it isn't usually in what I would call a low-flow area. Nor does cutting back on lighting seem to do the trick. All I can say is that I've used Chemiclean with some success, but red slime seems to come and go when it pleases.

estein02

Originally Posted by Anonome
My opinion......you say you have no fish in the tank, so I am assuming this is a new tank?....If so, then unfortunately, it may be a normal process of the tank. Or, it could be a nuisance. I have for example, one rock and only one, that since I have put it in the tank....and yes, have moved it to various places, and it still grows red slime no matter what I do. I have scrubbed it, and pretty much everything except boil it. Nothing but syphoning has worked, but not gotten rid of it.
From the picture, it looks like it is maybe blocked by the other rock....maybe move the one to get more flow to the effected area. But, I would suction out the red slime before doing this. Red slime, if free floating in a tank will attach somewhere else.
The tank has been set up for 2 1/2 months. Been through the diatom and green hair algea phases and I guess this is the next phase. Now I just have to get rid of it. Guess I will have to try a product like Chemiclean or Antired. Don't know what else to do...I've suctioned it before but it came back. I wish I knew the cause, but everything that I test for is ok.
I appreciate all of the comments.

estein02

Originally Posted by rbaldino
I have to second this. When I do get red slime, it isn't usually in what I would call a low-flow area. Nor does cutting back on lighting seem to do the trick. All I can say is that I've used Chemiclean with some success, but red slime seems to come and go when it pleases.
Besides not looking to pretty...does it hurt the tank?

rbaldino

Originally Posted by estein02
Besides not looking to pretty...does it hurt the tank?
Well, I imagine if it gets really bad it could start covering corals, depriving them of light. Other than that, I think it's just a nuisance.

E

essop3

Are you using RO/DI water? The slime can absorb all the nutrients so phosphates and nitrates will test zero.
Chemi-clean will clear it up but it won't solve the root problem so it will come back sooner or later.