Alkalinity

clowny74

How do I get my alkilinity down in a 75 gallon saltwater aquarium. I have tested it and is awful high.
:confused:

broomer5

What is "awful" high ?
Before I did anything, I'd first get a good measurement of calcium and pH.
Then post these numbers here along with the alkalinity reading.
You may be able to add calcium supplement to pull down the alk level.
You can always do a water change - or better yet - a series of smaller water changes over the course of several weeks.
This normally corrects many woes ( assuming you're mixing up better water chemistry wise than what's in the tank )
Lastly - and I don't recommend it - just mentioning - you could blow CO2 through the tankwater - yeah with a straw and your mouth if you wanted LOL - but I'm sure after a long enough time - you're alk ( pH ) would be affected and decrease.
Again - not recommending this as solution - just making the point that an increase in CO2 will drive your pH/alk down over time.
I'd go with water changes.

clowny74

My alkilinity test just tells me High/Good/Low. Is there a test kit that you would recommend I get. Also, does it hurt for your protein skimmer to be putting alot of air bubbles into the water? I was given this tank from a friend and have had it setup for about 4 or 5 months. Everything seems to be going well and all other levels seem fine. What would cause the alkalinity to go high? Thanks for your help.
Mark

broomer5

Mark,
My opinion is biased on saltwater test kits.
I like and use Salifert for the most part.
This site sells them under the dry goods section, at a very good price of $9.99 by the way.
If you've got the bucks - I'd go with alkalinity, calcium and pH.
These 3 measurements are normally best looked at as a group.
Each can and will have an affect on the other two as you make adjustments to the tankwater.
A high alkalinity can be caused by several things, and I'm sure I'll miss a few.
Poor quality dry saltmix.
Using tap water that is very high in excess minerals and carbonates for saltwater mixing.
Topping off with tap water that contains monerals and carbonates.
Allowing the calcium to drop off significantly.
Adding pH buffers or alkalinity building products in excessive amounts.
Not doing water changes with good quality saltwater mixed to a proper salinity, and allowing the tankwater chemistry to become out of balance.
Low fish loads, low organic acid levels and little if any algae growth - combined with overdosing of buffer products.
If the pH does not drop from these things - the alkalinity will not be required as much to "buffer" the tankwaters' pH.
I'll guess that your calcium is low, and you top off with tap.
But I'll ask if you use any buffer products too.

Can a high alkalinity affect fish and inverts alot? Isn't alkalinity just a measure of the buffering capacity of a system?