all brand new stuff should i exchange

boadyboom

Any info would be greatly appreciated... I just got a 39g bowfront tank with a millenium 3000 wet/dry multi-filter. I guess my question is that is it better to have a canister filter or a hang on type? And does anyone have any good or bad comments on that filter. As soon as i figure out whats the best way to go on my filtration i want to go get some LR and start my cycle period. Also my lighting that i got was a deluxe series double linear strip compact fluorescent with fans. 1-96w actinic and 1-96w 10,000K fluorescent lamp 36" made by coral life. Does anyone know bout this lighting set up and is it decent or not also would a moon light setup be a nicer way to go? Do i need a protein skimmer right away? And what would be a decent one for the price, i know you dont want to skimp on these but if there is somethin i can get at a decent price for now i can always upgrade in a few months. I plan on doing a coral tank and some fish so any help would be greatly appreciated. I also am currently reading a few books as well as reading many posts here online. thanks again

squidd

Did someone give you this stuff or did you buy it and now are not sure if it's right...? What don't YOU like about the stuff you have...?
There are as many different ways and combos of equipment you can use to set up your tank as there are people setting them up...
I can give you my opinion and I'm sure the next couple replys will be simular and yet have differences as people express theirs...
Most of your biological filtration should come from your Live Rock and Live sand with plenty of circulation from powerheads or an overflow/sump (or wet/dry) and return pump...
Supplemental filtration "under" the tank is less obtrusive than any "Hang-On" stuff (filters or Skimmer)
The lights you have will be good for a number of begining corals (softies,shrooms,most LPS) but not the more light demanding Clams,SPS or most anemones...Depends on your goal for this tank if you want to "up-grade" to Metal Halide at this time...A"moon light" is just for your enjoyment.
I think a skimmer is a good "investment" and you should get one...But why pay upwards of $200 for a "cheap" one and then up-grade in a couple of months because it dosen't work as well as you'd like...spend the $250 -$300 Now for a good one (Euro Reef) and you won't be sorry...
I'd say get the Live Rock/Sand a heater and a couple powerheads going...Throw a dead shrimp in to start your "cycle" and continue to read every thing you can and ask questions on this board while you save up for a "killer" skimmer and your first fish...

boadyboom

hey thanks alot i will keep reading. And yes i got all that stuff as a birthday present. Does anyone know bout painting the backside? Is it a nice way to go and what type of paint do I use on my acrylic tank? I would like to do the whole underneath sump thing but do not know how? Can someone please explain that to me ..i would like to try and hide as much as I can thanks again.

squidd

Latex paint will be fine on Acrylic...a "flat" finish will cover better and still be "glossy" on the inside (through tank)...
Blue is most popular, with Black coming in a close second...(my choice :D ) Or there are "sheets" you can buy with either a "scene" (tacky) or solid color...or you can use cloth,foam,colored acrylic,most anything for a "background" and to hide your pipes/HOB stuff...
A sump is a seperate tank placed under the main tank...it is fed by an overflow from the main tank and returns through a pump...
It adds extra volume to your system(more stability) and gives you a "hidden" place to put skimmer/heater(s) so they are not in the main tank...You can also add a "third" tank (or partition your sump) for a "refugium" where you have additional water/Live Rock/and Macro algae for additional filtration...
Many different ways to go but not all are "neccessary" to "start" your tank and can be added on at a later date as your needs and understanding grow...