All Da Babies...

windlasher

I have read that some seahorses can have a few hundred babies. So if you have a pair of seahorses and they have babies, do they all live? If so, what do you do with them?

S

shrimpy brains

It is my understanding that it is very difficult to raise them, first timers are considered successful if they have just 1 survive to adulthood. I would assume breeders have better luck than this. They sell their babies off.

teresaq

Depends on the species. Southern erectus are about the easiest, where reidi are the hardest.
It takes a lot of practise. My first batch made it to 6 weeks. They are raised simular to clown fish fry. bare bottom tanks that have to be kept emaculate. things like hydroids and ammonia can kill them. Some eat rotifers then bbs. some can start with bbs.
T

rykna

Pray, hope you've done your homework on caring for seahorse fry, and continue praying.

windlasher

Originally Posted by Rykna
http:///forum/post/3070066
Pray, hope you've done your homework on caring for seahorse fry, and continue praying.

Just thinking about it for now... I wasn't planning on breeding them, but just that should I decide to set up a SH tank, I guess I should listen to what my mother told me when I was younger, and be prepared for unplanned pregnancies.

Just noticed that you are in MN. Howdy Neighbor. Have you done seahorse breeding before? Yet?

rykna

Originally Posted by windlasher
http:///forum/post/3070793
Just thinking about it for now... I wasn't planning on breeding them, but just that should I decide to set up a SH tank, I guess I should listen to what my mother told me when I was younger, and be prepared for unplanned pregnancies.

Just noticed that you are in MN. Howdy Neighbor. Have you done seahorse breeding before? Yet?
Cool! Hi from the suburbs!
Yes I have bred seahorses, but only ponies(the dwarf seahorses), and with much success. The ponies are much tougher than their larger cousins, IMHO. The pony fry are able to take care of themselves from the moment the emerge from their father's pouch. The biggest challenge with these little horses is hatching enough live food for them on a daily basis. The fry need enriched day old baby brine shrimp(BBS), and lots of them. Maintaining the BBS Hatchery is the biggest commitment when keeping ponies. Twice a day, with my schedule, I am constantly hatching and enriching in different cycles. It's easy once you get the hang of it, but it is a big commitment, and there is always more tiny snouts to feed!
This was my favorite male, "Titan".

Here's what meal time looks like. A BBS snow storm!

~Rykna

teresaq

Are you going to set up a feeding station in your 90?? thats a huge tank for such tiny horses.
T

windlasher

Originally Posted by Rykna
http:///forum/post/3071183
Cool! Hi from the suburbs!
Yes I have bred seahorses, but only ponies(the dwarf seahorses), and with much success. The ponies are much tougher than their larger cousins, IMHO. The pony fry are able to take care of themselves from the moment the emerge from their father's pouch. The biggest challenge with these little horses is hatching enough live food for them on a daily basis. The fry need enriched day old baby brine shrimp(BBS), and lots of them. Maintaining the BBS Hatchery is the biggest commitment when keeping ponies. Twice a day, with my schedule, I am constantly hatching and enriching in different cycles. It's easy once you get the hang of it, but it is a big commitment, and there is always more tiny snouts to feed!
This was my favorite male, "Titan".

Here's what meal time looks like. A BBS snow storm!

~Rykna

Cool - It might take me a bit to set up a new tank. Would you be interested in selling a few once I get that done and you have a new brood?

rykna

Originally Posted by windlasher
http:///forum/post/3072064
Cool - It might take me a bit to set up a new tank. Would you be interested in selling a few once I get that done and you have a new brood?
That would be fine with me. I probably won't get the ponies for another 2-3 weeks. So you would have plenty of time to set up a tank.
What type of set up are you thinking of?
~Rykna