All Experts!! 80"x30"x25" construction.

coachklm

o.k so ive simplified it down to that size... i just cant figure out the overflow placement and closed loop placement for optimal reef flow... I would like this tank to be either a peninsula or a against wall tank (very versatal) so I thought of a couple ideas and need imput please help...(2)1.5" drains to sump and (2)1" returns. the rest i need help with figuring out closed loop drains and returns (2)
and No I'm not a dreamer...
I have an appoitment to discuss this with the builder on friday..

aw2x3

Damn...I wish I wasnt housesitting, right now and stuck with a Macintosh.
Let me see if I can explain this, without throwing out a pic.
On your first sketch, the first thing I'd do is place the overflow box on the outside of the tank. have the builder notch out teeth, in the side of the tank, to flow into the overflow box.
I'd also have two returns on the overflow box side...one on each side of the overflow.
On your second sketch, I think that's more suitable for a wider tank. You throw in a center overflow and by the time you stack rock around it, you're not gonna have any room between the rock and the tank wall.
If you dead set on a center overflow, I'd make it more narrow and longer. Maybe 5" wide and 10" long. That way you'd have more than enough room for the water to exit the tank, while also leaving yourself more than enough room to plumb for returns/drains. Also, it'd leave plenty of room for you to stack rock, creating a pillar shaped rock column, while also leaving plenty of room between tank wall and rock.
Hope that helps.

aw2x3

The bottom diagram would work, especially if you're wanting to go with a peninsula style tank.
From what I mentioned before, with going with the first diagram and placing the overflow on the outside of the tank, you're gonna have to construct some type of cabinet that'll enclose the over as well...that is, if you care about it being visible.
Personally, I've ALWAYS wanted a large tank with a center overflow. You can stack rock around it, all the way to the top of the tank...just a really cool look, IMO.

coachklm

now i need proper sizes for the drains and returns and make sure everything is in the right place? any other opinions?

aw2x3

I'd go with 1.5" drains and 1" returns...in the overflow and on the closed loop as well.
I just tore down and rebuilt my 90gal...drilled it with two 1" drains and constructed an overflow box and then drilled for two 1" returns. I had bought 1.5" bulkheads for the drains but they just seemed too big for 90gal. I'll use them later, on my 200gal.