All Fish Died Within 2 Hours Of Cleaning

ophiura

What is the biomedia in the cannister and did you rinse that with tap water too? In general, rinsing filter pads in tap water is not a big concern to me. Rinsing the biomedia in tap water would be...however I would still not put it as the cause of the deaths especially if you have live rock.
Did you do anything after this cleaning? Feed? Do you have a skimmer? How long did you have filters/pumps (circulation) cut off?
Did you have the new water in buckets, and if so is there ANY chance they were used for something else since you last used them?

mcbdz

First thing I would do is get my own test kits. You need to be testing your water before water changes, testing the new water and then the day after so you learn you system and make sure your water salinity and ph match before changes. then run your tank without anything like you are cycling again until everything is fixed before adding livestock. Get you issues fixed before adding anything. At 2 months old you should of just now be adding cuc and then 1 or 2 fish after that. Slow down and let your tank mature a little.
Pattie

barchtruong

this problem sounds very familiar to me even though I didn't kill an entire reef w fishes, but I could see everything suffered. I have 2-350 HOB Penguin filters and coraline 125 skimmer with 120lb lr in a 55g tank. I go in a take out the filter pads to rinse off the debris and oh boy, nothing is happy in the tank the following 2 days. I found out that PH had dropped drastically to a suffering point (I am talking about 7.6), and a nitrate spike.
So, Watch your PH.

snaredrum

Originally Posted by wfd1008
http:///forum/post/2898597
what did you use to kill the algae? i'm guessing that has a big something to do with it.
I'm kind of thinking this question is not being answered for a reason as it has been asked a number of times. We must always remember that there is tons of experience on this site with opens hands too help. The only thing we need to provide is correct and detailed information for the experienced to understand what we have done wrong. At this point, I would completely start over. You are going to need a RO/DI unit. I feel this is a must with this size of tank. The algea is from the water being used for water changes or overfeeding or maybe lighting on to long. Good Luck and remember to restock VERY slowly.

momo

Thanks to everyones help in this. I will start over and Do try again. Do I need to to go barebones or can I salvage anything?? I plan on scrubbing rocks for the algie and maybe replace all sand.

scotts

I am glad to hear that you are starting over. Personally I think what happened was you stocked your tank too fast and the cleaning of your filters was the proverbial straw that broke the camels back.
Since you are starting over I think you should start out like you are a newbie. Here is a thread that I hope helped some new people. try this
Here are some issues that I think you had with your tank. The hair algae is a symptom that you had excess nutrients in your tank. There are creatures that will eat the hair algae, but those are band-aids on the problem. The better way to get rid of the hair algae is to fix the problem, ie. excess nutrients. Part of this might be the tap water you are using. That has "stuff" in it that will lead to hair algae, among other problems. That is why most people buy their water or make their water with a RO/Di system. Once your tank has finished recycling you need to add the fish slowly. You added a huge bioload all at once that your new tank could not handle. You also need to research the fish before you buy them. You had a mixture of aggressive a regular fish. In the long run your Humu trigger was going to snap and probably eat your clowns.
So anyway now would be a good time to do as much research as you can while you are letting your tank settle and start over. You really have a number of weeks before you should add your first creature to the tank.
I know I sound like a PITA but the more you know the better your tank will be in the long run.
Scott

t316

Originally Posted by Scotts
http:///forum/post/2899163
Grrrr..... Here I thought you were going to tell me how helpful I was and, although harsh, what great advice I gave. Nope just
calling me an idiot for not being able to post a link

Now I would never do that....

Yes, that was a good thread, and it sounds like you helped out quite a few. Funny, notice that hardly any of those people are online anymore.

momo

Thanks to all that has helped me with my "adventure" I download the link and will try again. Hopefully I will be back to ley everyone know that everything is going great.
Again Thanks

woody189

Is it possible that the carbon that was in the system absobed all it could and at that point it realeased all the bad stuff??
IDK if it happens gradually or suddenly, but maybe it absorbed the windex or tap water and everything, and it maxed out and then released.
If it happens gradually, then IDK, i agree w/ every1 else