all-glass

chub

my 55g all glass tank is coming apart at the center support. do I unload the tank? I'M sure it will bow out if it breaks completely off. If I unload it wont be replaced its to hard to work onthis when you cant stand up. I need some suggestions soon. Thanks

2quills

If you can fix it then you probably should. The center brace is supposed to be there for support. It's probably more important to have them on acrylic tanks than glass but none the less...I would try to fix it. I've hear of people fixing them by simply adhearing an acrylic strip across the top of the tank where the brace is. I've also heard of people cutting the brace out all together and never having a problem with bowing or leaks on glass tanks. If it were me...I'd try the simple fix just to be safe.

meowzer

Yeah definitely get some support in there....I had a brace break on a 55G, and it started bowing immediately.....
There are lots of threads on fixing this....try looking in the search for them...

chub

With new knees and ankles its hard to do much, But I found some help. I had a 10g tannk I filled it with tank water and caught the 2 fish I had. I put 35 gal of water in pails, skimmer, 1 power head are in the 10. The 55g is bowed . I have a 10g tub I will put the LR in and all the water I can and go from there. The 10 maybe easier to maintain for now.

2quills

That's probably a smart choice...I've never had one break (knock on wood) but I would really hate to have it happen.
Good luck.

acrylic51

You can repair it, but you might also be able to check around and get the replacement top trim for the tank.