all things NFL Draft

bayside

i think smith is just to small to play in the nfl as sad as that is, he is a real talent. i think if he wants to play in the nfl he is going to need to transfer to a different position ala the kid from penn st last year, but prolly not running back.
i think wolfe translates well to the pros, a warrick dunn type player. id say he goes beginning of the second day, prolly round 4, maybe even late third round.

rylan1

Originally Posted by bayside
i think smith is just to small to play in the nfl as sad as that is, he is a real talent. i think if he wants to play in the nfl he is going to need to transfer to a different position ala the kid from penn st last year, but prolly not running back.
i think wolfe translates well to the pros, a warrick dunn type player. id say he goes beginning of the second day, prolly round 4, maybe even late third round.
He's 6'0 - 6'1 I believe Drew Brees is around this size... I think he just needs an opportunity to play.

I m a Cleveland fan and I would like nothing better than to see Calvin Johnson holding a Browns jersey on draft day. I really dont htink that woudl put us in the Detroit category because Edwards hasnt proven anything yet, except that he lacks concentration. I say Joe Thomas second on my list for the Browns because there will be a decent back later in the draft. As for Quinn and Russel I couldnt agree with you guys more.

Also if you look at Calvin Johnsons QB ini college you will see that he did not need a good QB to make catches, which is why he would be great in Cleveland. I like Fry, its hard to play behind a bad line and no running game, but he does lack in his throwing ability.

rylan1

The best way to build a team is with a good defense and a solid running game. All the teams looking at QB's have no established veteran QB, so these guys would be expected to start with no type of sideline mentorship. Yes Quinn played in a pro style offense, however; defenses are much more complicated in the pro game. Browns should take Peterson, if not him then Johnson, then Thomas. Thomas may not be the best OL in the draft, that guy from Central Michigan ( I think) is rated as really good. Seems like most starting OL are drafted 3rd-5th rds. As far as QB's go look how good people said David Carr was. If he were available in this draft along with Russell and Quinn - who would you take based on their college career?

David Carr did not get a fair shot at QB in my opinion the guy took a beating and no one can with stand that and prove worthy. Do you think Roethlisberger could have done any better there?
Your right and I agree with the running game and Defense (the only reason roethlisberger was succesful). But the Running game doesnt come without an o line. I would not be upset if the Browns drafted AP. I think they are in great position to get a phenominal player. I just feel CJ provides the most security (cant miss IMO).

about ginn, I think he would make a better DB. I am suprised we have not heard more talk about that.
He is very much a potential based draft pick at this point. With speed like that you can use him somewhere. IMO he will be worthy of a mid to late 1st rd pick. Maybe even the 4th pic of the 2nd rd
(Browns 2nd pic)

bayside

i agree i do like ginn better at db when he did play there at ohio st. CJ is an absolute stud and is far and away the best player in the draft. rumors are that there is a deal in place already that if CJ gets past OAK then DET and TB swap picks and Simeion Rice going to DET also, so i dont think CJ is getting anywhere past #2.
i do not think carr got that fair of a shot at HOU because it is very hard to throw from your back in the nfl. but his 3/4 delivery also doesnt do him any favors when he actually gets away the ball and it gets tipped at the line.

fisherkid91

call me crazy but i think quinn will do pretty good. he has just been under the microscope for an extra year because he decided to stay, if you look at some of the other quaterbacks that stayed an extra year the same thing happened to them: peyton manning, matt leinhart. i hope he slides down to the dolphins at 9, or they trade up.

bayside

oh no... so you say culpepper isnt working out for you guys down there??? hahaha jk. 2nd round pick for pep was a steal and a half. he will never play again. maybe he should try to not do rehab at a run down strip mall next to a chinese take out place.
well if quinn falls to us we will trade picks with you and take another second rounder from you.

fisherkid91

lol if it were up to me i would have went with brees (not just saying that because he did better). but picking culpepper instead was just another great decision by nick saban, along with picking jason allen the first pick, he did great, but atleast he got a capable backup at qb in joey harrington..not, but its ok we'll come back and joey porter is a good move... i hope

bayside

ya not to sure why anyone would want a scrambling qb with a very serious knee injury that already was proven that pretty much all he could do is throw a deep ball somewhat near moss and he would adjust and get it. and as added bonus a seriously fragile mind where if something gets into his head he will not let it go. this guy was a one read qb and if it wasnt there paniced and made lousy decisions.
i have no idea why anyone would want this guy over brees who had an injury that wouldnt hinder his performance and an overall better qb. let alone all you had to do is offer brees a contract, instead you give minn your second round pick..... BRILLIANT

fisherkid91

yup not to smart, im not to crazy about the trent green talks either, he's kind of old i mean can he still even play? i guess he would make a good mentor for quinn if they get him though

I am a frequent Quinn basher, I guess my biggest knock on him is his poor play in big games. I guess Manning didnt win the big one in college either. He seemed a little inconsistent too. One throw would be phenominal and the nest would be crap. I will give him credit in the comebacks though he had a few impressive, composed late comebacks. And that shows alot. Good QBs find a way to win.

rylan1

I don't think Quinn is anthing special. Take Vince Young, He's a great QB, he single handly won games for Texas and Tenn. Quinn never did this. His biggest win was probably to a bad Michigan St team with that comeback. He blamed his team for the losses. To me he's a competitive guy that wants to win, but he is no leader. Great QB's put everything on themselves and accept the blame regardless if they did all they could. Troy Smith is a much better leader and player in my opinion.

bayside

cocky player that is playing the poor me that im not getting drafted first overall card. he is from the most perrenial overrated school. he doesnt have a very good arm and has trouble hitting recievers on short routes. not very good mobility, which is greatly needed in this league now unless you are very savy, i.e. Peyton Manning. his constant tendency to throw his teammates under the bus doesnt do him any favors either.

fisherkid91

i'm a hurricanes fan so i dont know a whole lot about these qb's except for what i see on nfl network. as for jamarcus russel ya hes big and has a big arm but he doesnt seem like all that to me, kinda like another byron leftwhich, but i dont know a whole lot about him.

in quinns defense(i cant beleive i am defending quinn) young had alot better supporting cast at texas.
I do believe smith is a better leader no question about it. As far as overall passing ability I am not sure about that. I would much rather have Smith I love his athleticism and arm strength

rylan1

Did some research on Quinn and T. Smith.
Smith: 2 1/2 years as starter
avg. 3.92 yds per rush (1168 total career)
13 rush TDS
career: 62% completion %
53 pass TD's 13 INT's
Height 6'0
25-2 record
Quinn: 4 yr Starter
avg 1.4 yd per rush (184 total career)
6 rush TD's
career 57% completion %
98 pass TD's 39 INT's
Height 6'3
Not sure what his record is but loss at least 15-20 games