All whom have an abudance of knowledge in reef tanks, please enter.

Right now Im re-starting my 50 gal. tank. I just set it up today, so needless to say Its going to be awhile before I can even think about putting fish in there, much less coral. But I am wanting to take a shot at making it a reef tank. I don't know alot about reef tanks (although I work at *****...but hey, our fish suck :D ) So I figured although its going to be awhile before I can introduce any coral to the tank, if I learn about it now, i'll have a better chance at success. What do I need to do to prepare the tank to be a reef tank? I know water conditions have to be pretty good. When I do water changes I use RO saltwater from the fish store, and use distilled water to top off. What about all those chemicals I see? Which ones will I need to add to the tank? Any advice would help seeing as I know nothing! Thanks.

accurate

im not a genius on reef tanks but ill sorta get u started.
When i changed over from a fo to reef, i bought alot of live rock and started adding some additives. I used salifert for everything, theyre $ but u can go to jeffs exotic fish and get them at a better deal than most stores
I cycled my tank ready for stocking in less than 5weeks. may not be a record or anything but i was impatient. itcost me because i had to buy a lot of live rock
i had a wet/dry and crush coralfor the substrate. used a cyclone skimmer and had 3 vho lights 2-50/50 and 1 actinic Great coraline algae
I may can help a little more later if you have more specific questions
Good Luck and have fun

mlm

If you are planing on a reef tank you will not need a wet/dry filter. Save your money for some live rock and live sand. You will also need a good protein skimmer (debatable by some but used by many). You will need good lighting. As far as additives you need Calcium and PH buffer. Everything else is debatable. If you can think of any specific questions post them.

jodeman

I'm still a newbie, but I'll offer one bit of advise. When you get ready to add your first fish, Don't get damsels. Put in a couple of freshwater mollies. They ugly as homade soap, but they're cheap and they won't terrorize the really nice fish that you'll want to add later. (someone told me this when I started my tank, and I wished I'd have taken their advise) Ever tried to catch a damsel with a tank full of rock? Nearly impossible without removing everything form the tank. With mollies, if'n all else fails just put something in that will eat'em. I might get flamed for this post but it's just my opinion. Good luck and ask lots of questions (the people on this board are really helpfull and have answered all kinds of novice questions for me).

fshhub

better yet, use (dead) grocery shrimp for the cycle, i think i already discussed this, but it is the most humane,and just as reliable, maybe even faster than damsel or mollies, and you have no reason to try and catch them later

keitho

which ***** do you work at? i live in the DFW area, and i go to ***** frequently for dry goods...the ***** in west plano is the one i've had the most luck with. :)

Originally posted by keitho:
<STRONG>which ***** do you work at? i live in the DFW area, and i go to ***** frequently for dry goods...the ***** in west plano is the one i've had the most luck with. :)</STRONG>
I work at the one in Hurst, on the corner of W. Pipeline and 820. As far as fish go (especially saltwater) Our store sucks. Then again ***** as a whole really isnt good for much except for dry goods (if that) and other pets stuff. :D

ironreef

Biological filter you can use LR and dsb nothing else no wet dry ect.. If you don't like dsb use a 2" fine sandbed and don't vaccum and seed with LS if you can. USE NO cc. They can be detrius traps. The fine sand will house alot of bugs which you want. The bug population is what makes a reef successful.
Filter you need to use a skimmer or an alga tank to keep up with the input you need a good export. If you choose neither it will be harder to have a ballanced tank.
Lighting= depends on what you keep. Halides/vho combo are the best. Halides alone are good.But I would have at least vho lighting 4 110 or 95 w each. Icecap is the best. Is $$ is tight DIY pc is a good option. Bit imo save $$ and get at least the IC vho.
Sump? gonna use one or not? if so use a reef ready or drill for the best option.
Stocking= decide on what fish you want and addd them slow. Don't overstock it will just cause problems. Decide on what corals you want to keep and but the required lighting. Aquarium Corals by Eric Borneman buy this book it will save you $$ from setting poorly and killing livestock. take it slow have a plan. And buy quality equipment don't buy junk and re buy it again. Save your $$ and do it right

I would cycle the tank with the live rock or even a raw piece of shrimp(or two). You will go through you nitro. cycle faster this way. After you cycle the tank buy your cleaning crew. Start doing your research on corals. Wait for a few weeks and start adding some of your hardier corals. Wait on the fish the corals and inverts are better for a new tank.

jakob4001

hey kietho, do you have FO,FOWLR, or reef tank? have heard of this place that sells LR for $3 lb & will even deliver it to your doorstep if you live in DFW area; was just wondering if in anyone in that area has delt w/ them

Okay, this queston really shows my ignorance. What exactly does a sump do? Yes, I work a *****, and yes, we have one. But I don't work in aquatics, and I've never really understood the purpose of it. I've seen a few things on how to build one. My tanks are in my bedroom so I can't really have water flowing all night cause, well...I gotta sleep :D But anyway, just looking for some info.
oh, and another idiotic question..what does dsb stand for?
:confused: <

[hr]
That suits me very well....lol

ironreef

sump is a place for equipment,add chemicals so the mix good before hitting the main tank,drip calcium/kalk. Helps cool and aeriate the tank. Can be a spot for a refugium. If you use a skimmer good ones are made for sumps. if you use an alga tank it can be used in your sump or be your sump. More water volume is always better. Top off for evaporation ect.ect.ect..

biggdriver

by the way dsb stands for deep sand bed,,usually 4-6 inches deep..can be up to 8 but in many peoples opionion anything over 8 is a waste of space and can be deterimental to the system..The upper layer of sand hosts bacteria that will feed on the ammonia and nitrites, while the lower level of sand is densely packed it creates an oxygen deficient area for the other type of bacteria that will break down your nitrates into gas that will dissipate into the air..Keeping the system in balance..surface current is critical as it helps dissipate the gas..