alternate to lr

rygoodm6

what can i use as base rock instead of all live rock...ive heard so many diffrent things on here that people disscuse using but what can really be used in a fish tank...i know everyone says just spend the money and get the good stuff but ive sunk so much money into the tank kinda looking for a way to get around spending 7 a lb for lr

aw2

Check your LFS and see if they have "lace rock".
In all of my tanks, I've never bought enough live rock for the whole tank. They're all mainly 60% lace rock and 40% live rock.
Over time, your live rock organisms will populate your base rock, making it "live".

rygoodm6

what about the concrete blocks and bricks, any kind of potery safe???like just the brown stuff...had seen some in the tanks at lfs

hot883

I bought some aquarium safe pre formed caves that have the look of lr. I used it on the bottom and stacked up.

psusocr1

you can get 50 pounds of base rock for $40 bucks and its awesome looking rock...At least the base rock i got is cool!

jhebi

if i get base rock can i put straight into the tank or do I clean it with freshwater or saltwater, do I wait???

rygoodm6

Originally Posted by psusocr1
you can get 50 pounds of base rock for $40 bucks and its awesome looking rock...At least the base rock i got is cool!

were can i get it at...can you email it to me... rygoodm6@aol.com

reefdweler

Originally Posted by hot883
I bought some aquarium safe pre formed caves that have the look of lr. I used it on the bottom and stacked up.

Where did you get your caves at? I would love to get some of those, they look good.

mikeyjer

Originally Posted by AW2
Check your LFS and see if they have "lace rock".
In all of my tanks, I've never bought enough live rock for the whole tank. They're all mainly 60% lace rock and 40% live rock.
Over time, your live rock organisms will populate your base rock, making it "live".
From what I've read and was told that what your saying is incorrect! Lace rock will never fully become like a regular live rock. It will be base rock not live rock. :happyfish