Alternative Foods for a Snow Flake Eel

spencer_00_us

I have had, for several months now, a snow flake eel in my 20 gal. fish and invert tank. He is still young and only about 6"-8" long. I have been feeding him feeder fish and occasionally brine shrimp. Are there any alternatives to feeder gold fish and expensive frozen foods that I can give him? He currently is with 4 damsels (2-3 stripes, 2- dominos).
On an unrelated note: Is it normal for a Hermit crab with 2 anemone’s on his back to eat feeder fish?
Earlier today I watched as he ripped apart and ate the feeder fish that was supposed to be for my snow flake eel
while it was still alive. It was quite grotesque. :notsure:

garnet13aj

I'm glad you asked because you definitely shouldn't be feeding an sfe (or any saltwater fish) brine shrimp or freshwater feeder fish. I feed mine scallop and shrimp from the supermarket. It's extremely inexpensive. I put it in the freezer and when he's hungry I pull out a piece and chop it into chunks he can actually fit in his mouth. I feed him w/some wooden tongs I found in the lizard section at the pet store. Good luck, I hope this is an easy enough alternative for you. I love mine, he's really fun to feed and I love watching him swim.

spencer_00_us

Originally Posted by garnet13aj
I'm glad you asked because you definitely shouldn't be feeding an sfe (or any saltwater fish) brine shrimp or freshwater feeder fish. I feed mine scallop and shrimp from the supermarket. It's extremely inexpensive. I put it in the freezer and when he's hungry I pull out a piece and chop it into chunks he can actually fit in his mouth. I feed him w/some wooden tongs I found in the lizard section at the pet store. Good luck, I hope this is an easy enough alternative for you. I love mine, he's really fun to feed and I love watching him swim.
Thanks!!! Feeder fish is what the guy at the pet store was feeding him and it has been getting annoying having to make a trip to the pet store every week. Maybe thats his form of job security? Tell people to feed them what he sells. That and keeping them in a separate tank is a hassle too (though it is entertaining to watch him attack them little gold fish).

hoodlum99

Originally Posted by spencer_00_us
I have had, for several months now, a snow flake eel in my 20 gal. fish and invert tank. He is still young and only about 6"-8" long. I have been feeding him feeder fish and occasionally brine shrimp. Are there any alternatives to feeder gold fish and expensive frozen foods that I can give him? He currently is with 4 damsels (2-3 stripes, 2- dominos).
On an unrelated note: Is it normal for a Hermit crab with 2 anemone’s on his back to eat feeder fish?
Earlier today I watched as he ripped apart and ate the feeder fish that was supposed to be for my snow flake eel
while it was still alive. It was quite grotesque. :notsure:
i feed mine frozen silversides and shrimp, my pet store has a clear plastic prong thats about 1.5 feet long thats for feedin the eel. you put the food on the end and then put it in the water til he snatches the food off. i wish i could catch my eel, he's getting big and has eaten one of my fish.

garnet13aj

I think it's part job security and part lack of responsibility. It's easiest for an LFS to feed them something cheap and unnutritious because they won't have them for very long, but they should really inform and educate their customers. What keeps me going back to certain stores is that I know I can trust them.

promisetbg

Originally Posted by garnet13aj
I think it's part job security and part lack of responsibility. It's easiest for an LFS to feed them something cheap and unnutritious because they won't have them for very long, but they should really inform and educate their customers. What keeps me going back to certain stores is that I know I can trust them.
Ahh..in a perfect world. Where I firmly believe all LFS owners and workers should have a working knowledge of captive care for fish, I also believe there should be some responsibility shouldered by the hobbyist as well. If all LFS were 100% open & honest about everything they sell, some people simply would not buy or even get into this hobby. Where I work we do choose to take the time to educate, and will refuse to sell a fish into the wrong situation. Is this totally our responsibility, I don't think so...but we do it so the fish won't die..and some of our customers appreciate this. Not all though, many huff out the door angry because they are'nt sold what they want.