Alveopora & Pipe Organ help.....

mrrob

We purchased these two corals last saturday the 1st. They were both in very good conditon & flourishing. Since then, they have not opened up, or if so, very little. Water parameters are fine based on local fish store testing & tank has been established for a year & a half. We have them in lower current & lower in the tank with 2x65 watt 10K lights in a 20 gal tank. We've tried hand feeding corals food from same LFS.
here are some photos. please help!!!!!

smarls

Rob,
I can't help on the alva / goni, but I do have a Pipe Organ.
I am not sure how long you took to acclimatize the corals before putting them in your tank, but they may just be shocked a little from the differences between your water and the LFS water. Again, depending on your acclimatization, this may or may not be the case.
As for what Pipe's like, in my experience, they need a lot of light, and they need good flow. Lower in the tank, and lower current is not in my humble experience what this coral likes. They like flow to bring them zoaplankton and other foods (mine really likes cyclopeeze), and they need light...a lot of light. I have mine just over 1/2 the way up in a 55 gallon, with 240 watts of PC light, half of that being Actini 03 bulbs.
So if you do not think it is stressed / shocked, then move it up, and into better flow...you want the little polyps waving around in a random manner, so maybe where your powerhead flow meets each other. Also, as you can see, they have calcium structure that house the polyps...kind of LPS style, so make sure your calcium etc is properly maintained.
Also, I would suggest you change one of your 2 bulbs from a 10k to an actinic bulb...preferrably a true Actinic 03 bulb. I have found that the true actinic has really helped my corals, plus i really like the way the tank looks with ahlf 10k and half actinic.
HTH
Stewart

ssweet1

Move the pipe organ up and in good flow. They like stable temperatures, I lost one just like that when I transferred tanks and didnt acclimize it. Yours still looks like it may come back give it a week or so at least. Are hermits getting on it? I knew mine was toast when the hermits dived on it.:mad: