Always research before you buy!

sooz

Just a bit of advice to always research a species before you buy it! My mom was talked into buying a pair of harlequin shrimp this weekend, was told by the LFS dude that they could be fed brine shrimp. The little suckers were $20 apiece! But they are also way cool looking, so she bought them. I did some research for her only to find out that the only thing they eat is the tube feet of starfish!
The LFS has a "no return or exchange policy" on all saltwater species, but (if we can catch them) we are going to raise some heck at that store until they agree to take them back. It is her fault for not researching, but they either lied to my Mom or didn't know what they were selling! We bought them a small CC Star in the meantime, so they don't starve, but being lovers of starfish, we don't want to make that a regular habit.
Always research a species before you buy it!!!

nycbob

i wouldnt buy from a lfs that has that kind of policy. most lfs will gv u at least credit within a certain time. always buy with a credit card, that way u can dispute it.

renogaw

wow, that's a crappy LFS!
but yea, you're right, its your fault for not researching.
i'd love to borrow one for some asterina problem i have, but i'd have to get rid of my red serpent first :(

m0nk

I had considered setting up a species tank for some of these, they're really cool and the starfish they'll eat are fairly inexpensive at my LFS. Just fyi, in case you can't get the LFS to take them back, they only need fed once a month or there abouts... it's pretty easy care, just as long as you don't have other starfish in the tank you want to keep.

ecooper

It's sad they told you that. Jerks. But, I have to tell you I think it's sad to feed them starfish. Great, let me just let someone eat your feet and see how you like it!

m0nk

Originally Posted by ecooper
http:///forum/post/2466820
It's sad they told you that. Jerks. But, I have to tell you I think it's sad to feed them starfish. Great, let me just let someone eat your feet and see how you like it!

Not sure why it's sad, that's what they eat in nature.

reef_dart21

Originally Posted by sooz
http:///forum/post/2466788
Just a bit of advice to always research a species before you buy it! My mom was talked into buying a pair of harlequin shrimp this weekend, was told by the LFS dude that they could be fed brine shrimp. The little suckers were $20 apiece! But they are also way cool looking, so she bought them. I did some research for her only to find out that the only thing they eat is the tube feet of starfish!
The LFS has a "no return or exchange policy" on all saltwater species, but (if we can catch them) we are going to raise some heck at that store until they agree to take them back. It is her fault for not researching, but they either lied to my Mom or didn't know what they were selling! We bought them a small CC Star in the meantime, so they don't starve, but being lovers of starfish, we don't want to make that a regular habit.
Always research a species before you buy it!!!
My CC starfish ate 50$ in mushrooms before i got rid of it!!!! so id be happy to buy them

sooz

Well, I caught the little buggers, and it really wasn't very difficult! I am taking them back to LFS tonight, and I am going to have a fit until they refund me. As for the CC star - he is fine, and appears not to be overly nibbled, so I am going to take him for my FOWLR tank when my mom starts her coral (right now she is FOWLR but will be doing mainly coral later. For now she is letting the CC remain in her tank.) I know in nature everything eats something, and everything has a niche, but my Mom and I agree we do not want to watch starfish being devoured in our tanks!

snipe

agreed they would had taken them back if that was my store!! no if ands or buts about it. They woulda either took them back or found them some shrimp running around in there starfish tank!!! lmao nah but I woulda def made them take them back.

sooz

Hooray! I went to the LFS with the shrimp and asked for the manager. The kid who sold them was there too and we told the manager in front of the kid what happened. Not trying to make him lose his job, but my goodness, he misrepresented the animal!
So they gave Mom her $ back and she used some of it to buy herself a nice orange-spotted sleeper goby. Lesson learned - Mom promised to never, ever buy another animal without researching it!