Am I overfeeding?

kim11

I have 2 clowns 2 shrimp and a clean up crew. I feed 1/2 a cube of brine shrimp in the a.m. and half in the evening everyday. Sometimes they also get a pinch of flakes. I have an infestation of hydroid jellyfish that I scrub off the LR but they grow back rather quickly. Is it because im overfeeding?

socal57che

Originally Posted by kim11
I have 2 clowns 2 shrimp and a clean up crew. I feed 1/2 a cube of brine shrimp in the a.m. and half in the evening everyday. Sometimes they also get a pinch of flakes. I have an infestation of hydroid jellyfish that I scrub off the LR but they grow back rather quickly. Is it because im overfeeding?
yes, and don't forget to rinse the food to keep from adding proteins to your tank. Try switching from flake and introduce something other than brine. Mysis, scallops etc.

snaredrum

Originally Posted by socal57che
yes, and don't forget to rinse the food to keep from adding proteins to your tank. Try switching from flake and introduce something other than brine. Mysis, scallops etc.
How do you rinse the food? I know its in cubes when frozen, but once it hits water it dissolves into small pieces. Please help.

srfisher17

Originally Posted by socal57che
Good advice from both the above. A whole cube frozen + flakes every day is way too much for what you have. Watch, and I'm sure a lot of the food goes uneaten; and uneaten food is the start of many problems. Don't feel guilty; everyone wants to see their fish eat, just cut back. Mysiss is much more nutritious than brine shrimp, in fact; almost anything is. A drop of selcon to thaw the mysiss is a good idea too.

socal57che

Originally Posted by Snaredrum
How do you rinse the food? I know its in cubes when frozen, but once it hits water it dissolves into small pieces. Please help.

Thaw the food in a small dish (I use a 35mm film canister) and add a small amount of tank water (or vitamins and garlic juice)to help it thaw. Strain the food through a paper towel then drop it in the tank. (the food...not the towel)
Not rinsing adds dissolved proteins to the water column.

kim11

Originally Posted by BexleyFish
what does a hydroid jellyfish look like? Could you post pictures?
I tried but they were blury.

kim11

I tried to post pics but they were too blury.

socal57che

Several types, but this is pretty common:

socal57che

huh, cool... but im sure there not good right?
I would say neither good nor bad. They can be a sign of overfeeding, but not always. The popolations can grow and diminish in cycles like pods often do.