am i ready for inverts

travis99

Ok this is my first post on this message board. I have found alot of useful information on here. What a great resource.
Ok anyway, I have a tank that has been set up for 3 weeks. My levels are
ph 8.2
nitrite .2
nitrate 20
amonia 0
sg 1.025
temp 78
I had a sally lightfoot, an emerald crab and a arrow crab, and a clownfish, but they al died. I think because at first my salinity was two low. And the tempture was fluxuating to much.
Now everything is pretty stable, I currently have a damsel, a hermit crab, and 10 snails. I would like to add some more fish and some inverts today. What do you think?
Also do you have any idea of what would be safe to add?
Thanks everyone.

aquaguy24

u had all that in three weeks .SLOW DOWN..ur live stock prolly died cuz of the cycle not finished...ur adding stuff to quickly.. ur bio load can't handle all those things added in so fast..add one or two things at a time every other week or so..if its a blue devil damsel take him out now..don't add another fish for a month..u can prolly add a cleaner shrimp..this hobby takes a lot of paitence..or ur gonna end up spending a whole lot of money....but good luck..pics would be good..

lexluethar

You are still cycling if you have nitrites - and from what i've read for inverts you need to have 0 nitrate, or close to it.
I agree with aquaguy, you need to slow down a bit, you are adding too much to such a new tank - hense why your first batch didn't work out.
Add fish one at a time so that your bacteria can adjust.

bigskyreef

I know its hard to be patient, but go slow. You should wait longer, until you get your water down to 0 nitrite. Nitrates of 20 would be really tough on most inverts, and can kill some. When you start adding critters, only add a few at a time. If you add too much at a time, your bacteria won't be able to handle it, and you'll have more deaths. It's more fun to watch what you add live and do well than it is to add neat things only to take them out dead and flush them (and your money) away. Best of luck.

travis99

By the way, this is my first tank. So I am really not sure on alot of things. Thanks for all the advice so far.
Travis

milkman

How about a tank description? Flow,skimmer,lights,sump and other filters. If your in a hurry to add somthing now - add macro algae. Macro algae will always have to be trimmed but it's an effective way to help water quality. Alot of reefers will not recommend macro in a display becuase it can grow out of control but in your case it might be a good idea if you want to add somthing today.
Nice pictures by the way!

travis99

The tank is 29 gallons, with a crushed coral bottom. I have a skilter protein skimmer, one flow pump, one filter with bio-wheel. About 22 pounds of live rock. I just got back from lfs, I had them do a test on my water and they said it was in great condition. I may have not tested it right. But they said it was A Ok.
I am using distelled water.
Thanks for the comment on the pictures. I have lots more cool ones I am getting ready to post. I will post them in the fish photography forum though.
Travis

ric maniac

i would get the crushed coral out of the tank if i were you. it may look good for the first little bit but it will make your life a living hell.
-Dirk

travis99

Originally Posted by ric maniac
i would get the crushed coral out of the tank if i were you. it may look good for the first little bit but it will make your life a living hell.
-Dirk
hmm.. I've heard that before. How would you sugest I do that safely? I don't want to stir up any mess.
Travis

jackolopolis

I really have to agree with the whole patience thing. A little patience goes a long way, in my experience. Every time I ever rushed anything, it ended in disaster. As far as crushed coral goes, I cant say I have had any problems out of mine, but it is mixed 50-50 with sand. What kind of problems have you been haveing with the crushed coral??