Am I ready?

phishy

This can't be...my cycle is over after 2 weeks?
Here is the background: 72 Gallon w/100lbs of LR and 100lbs of southdown. I added 3 cocktail shrimp and my ammonia was off the charts in 2 days. ON the 6th day, ammonia was 0 and nitrites were off the charts. After 10 days nitrites were 0 and nitrates were 10ppm. This morning (day 12) the nitrates were 5ppm (temp 80, PH 8.2 and salinity 1.022).
Do nitrates ever really get to 0? How much longer should I wait? Is there damage in waiting TOO LONG before adding fish (does the tank need their waste to stay cycled)? Should I do my first water change now or wait some more? I just turned my Skimmer on and have had my wet/dry filter on since day 3. PHs have been on since day 1.
I am planning to add fish slowly (1 every couple of months). My first addition will be a pair of clowns. In order to get up to the $75 minimum each time I order I am planning to order my clean-up crew in thirds. How does this first purchase sound?
-2 clowns
-12 Scarlet Reef Hermits
-10 Turbo/Astrea Snails
-1 peppermint shrimp
Will this be enough clean-up for the two clowns? I will buy the same type of package with my second fish and again with my third (adding some emerald crabs and sally lightfoot). Do you see any problems?
Thanks.

tiencvu

I would wait a couple more weeks before adding new fish.
Finish cycling after 2 Weeks seems very odd.
Are you sure your test kits reading correctly?

T

thomas712

Double check the test scores with the LFS and see what they come up with.
Do a 30% water change and wait 2 more weeks then order your package. double check the water after the 2 weeks and before adding your fish and clean up crew.
Sounds good, you never know how long a cycle will last, two weeks does seem fast, but it could happen.
Thomas

phishy

I will take a sample to my LFS this weekend, thanks.
Should I really do a 30% water change? That seems like a lot.
While I am on the subject, my tank is a 72 gal. but only took about 60 gal. of water to fill b/c of all the LR and sand. I am assuming I take 30% of 60 rather than 72...right?
Thanks...

T

thomas712

Agree with the Kipster, 30% of total tank volume or what you figure of total water volume + or -, it would still be considered a large water change, and what I do with a newly cycled tank.
Thomas

phishy

OK, I did a 30% water change...I will keep an eye on the readings for the next two weeks and hopefully be able to add fish by Thanksgiving!
Thanks.

texag04

My tank cycled in only two weeks, it can happen. I then added a damsel but I waited another two weeks to start adding my cleaning crew, which is only a couple of snails right now. I did a 20% change because I didnt know 30% was the golden figure. I cant keep my nitrates at 0 as they always bounce around 5ppm and 10ppm, dont worry about nitrates at low levels. You would need plants (macroalgae) to help keep your nitrates at zero. Waiting till thanksgiving is a good idea, dont rush it. I'll start putting your cleanup crew in when your diatom bloom hits. They will do a good job mowing that stuff down and keeping the diatoms under control. Twelve hermits, 10 snails, and a shrimp, are definitely enough to clean up after your two percs. Heck that crew could follow me around my house and clean up after me.

fez

When exactly should the 30% water change take place? Is it as soon as the Nitrites go to zero?
I just added some live rock along with a couple of green chromis. Amonia level is still in the moderate range. Should I be adding anything else at this point?
Playing the waiting game now...

beaslbob

Originally posted by Phishy
Do nitrates ever really get to 0?

Yes but extremely difficult with a fish load
How much longer should I wait?

At least another week
Is there damage in waiting TOO LONG before adding fish (does the tank need their waste to stay cycled)?
Yes the danger is the bacterial you have built up will die and cloud the tank
Should I do my first water change now or wait some more? I just turned my Skimmer on and have had my wet/dry filter on since day 3. PHs have been on since day 1.

I don't do water changes and do not use skimmers. My ph dropped about 3-4 months after I added fish. So you may want to add fish slowly. I would wait another week to insure any fish born parasites have died off from lack of a host fish. then add a male molly to test the system.
I would add all the plant life you can to naturally filter the water and make a complete ecosystem.

phishy

Fez,
I did the water change when my NitrAtes were close to 0, as I am not sure if they ever get all the way to 0.
You should not be adding anything else, and probably shouldn't have added the chromis. Can you take them back to the LFS?
Did your amonia spike? If not, you can add a shrimp to help it along.
This is a waiting game, I am just glad I did not have to wait a long :p
Good Luck.

i wish i knew about all this cycling stuff before i started.....now i worry about the states of my tank...3 weeks and going pretty good so far
hmm.....