ammomia levels high

kkicker1992

Help, we have a newer tank set up in our off, 45gal I'v had tanks for years, and never had this kind of problem I came in after the week end, and my boss had added live rock and some enimies over the week end, now i can't get the ammonia level down, i have even down 1-2 water change, as of today it's at 8.0, the ph is 8.2, the nitrates are 1.0. now i have a very sick clown.
it has a brand new protien skimmer, HELP!!!!!

meowzer

Do you have prime or amquel+...You need to get something in there to neutralize the ammonia asap...along with large w/c's

meowzer

Amquel + will not remove the ammonia.....it will only help to detoxify it.
You need to do major w/c's...what are you using for filtration??

kkicker1992

what we have is the protein skimmer, power head, and live rocks, we were told that was all to use, I'v never had this issue with any of my other tanks, ???

meowzer

I know a lot of people do not use mechanical filters and that's fine, BUT I was thinking that carbon could help remove some of the ammonia....

kkicker1992

nope, no filter system. any other suggestions before the clown dies? i'm kinda at my witts end with this. thanks for the help

cranberry

What brand of ammonia test kit are you using?
Ammonia test kits that use Nessler reagents are incompatible with Amquel+ as well as the API ammonia test kits.
You have to use Salicylate-type reagents for accurate test results.

florida joe

I do not know of anything what will take ammonia out of water. The chemicals we use in our tanks detoxify it but you will still read ammonia when you test. If you are testing 8.0 ammonia and your fish is still alive you have detoxified the water or your test kit is not accurate. You said you added live rock was it fully cured when you added it to your tank

liz644

Whenever i have ammonia problems i add these tablets (i think their like ammonia down or something) you can find them at any pet store that has fish and they instantly reduce the levels. All you have to do is drop them in and let them fizz til they dissolve and your ammonia is gone.