Ammonia and Coral Beauty

heithingi

Hi,
I am not sure if this is the proper board to ask this, but here goes.
When I set up my 120, I put in about 175 pounds of LR, with the intentions of dispersing about 55 pounds of it in both my 45 and 29 gallon tanks when the 120 was done cycling. I did this. The rock smelled very funny, my husband commented he thought it smelled like methane gas.
The two smaller tanks had a small ammonia spike last week, and I treated both tanks with Ammonia Lock, dropped my feeding, did a partial water change, and cleaned/changed all filters. The nitrites, then nitrates, started to spike a small bit, but were back down to 0 within about 2 days.
Today, the coral beauty in my 45 is acting nuts, just like what my books describe as ammonia poisoning. I tested all the tanks again (which I still do about every 3 days) and the ammonia is spiking again!! The 45 is at about .1, whereas the 29 is at about .2. Both tanks are showing small levels of nitrites and nitrates again. My 120 is fine, shows a slight level of nitrate, which I hope to cure with some live plants this week.
To the very best of my knowledge, there is no dead livestock. All fish, snails, crabs, and cowries are doing fine, well, except for the coral beauty who is swimming rapidly around the tank. I cannot find my brittle star nor cucumber in the 45, but this is pretty normal. Sometimes I will not see them for a week or so.
Should I do another water change? I already checked and cleaned all my filters again, and plan on cutting back, again, on my feedings. Last week, I treated twice with the Ammonia Lock, and it says on the third dose, a water change must be performed, however, it does not say how big of a water change. Any ideas at all?
Thanks,
Lynda

jimi

Lynda if your rock smells like sulfur it is not cured. There is still die off occuring. How long have you had the rock and coral beauty? Where did you get the rock online/lfs? With the rock still curing you will have to keep doing water changes to save your fish. With every water change suck off anything that looks mushy or white on the rock.

heithingi

Hi Jimi,
Ok, now I am in a panic. We bought the majority of the LR online. Precured rock. To be totally safe, we put it in our 120 gallon and let it sit in there for over two weeks while that tank was cycling. We also had some rock we purchased from our LFS, but his rock is always good, has never had that stink.
After the tank had cycled, we let it sit for a few more days, then transfered the rock around. We had that slight spike last week, is it common to spike like this again?? Today, my alerts (I use ammonia alert tabs along with my tests) are all up!! I am making salt water now, but am going to have to push the 24 hour rule, I am thinking. The tanks are going nuts!! My 45 is now literally covered with this red stuff on the glass, it is a mess.
Thanks Jimi, will let you know how things go.
Lynda

jimi

If you order on line you will always have some die off. What probably happened is there was enough cured rock to eat up any ammonia being given off by any uncured pieces so you were not getting an ammonia reading in your 120. When you removed the uncured(smelly) pieces and put them in a another tank there was not enough bacteria in the new tanks to keep up with the curing rock. You could always put all of the rock back into the 120 or keep doing water changes. As I said before if you continue the water changes try to get any dead or dying pieces of sponge or whatever out.

beth

Administrator
Staff member
Move your coral beauty [and any other fish showing stress] to the 120, since you said that that tank is doing fine now. The nitrate in the 120 is not a problem for fish. If your LR is still curing in the 45, then your fish and other inverts aren't going to be happy, or even live, thru a cycle. Get as many of them into the 120, or at least the ones that are stressed.
[ April 25, 2001: Message edited by: Beth ]

heithingi

Hi Jimi and Beth,
I am making a ton of water as we speak. Both tanks are going up on the ammonia, still! As for the rock, I am totally confused...in both the 29 and 45, I already had a lot of good, cured rock in there...wonder why it did not do what the cured rock in the 120 did? Maybe just more water?
Beth, actually, I thought about doing what you said, however, there is a problem. My 120 is an aggressive, currently housing 3 green chromis, a marine betta (4 inches), a checkerboard wrasse (4 inches), a snowflake eel (7-8 inches), and a niger trigger (4-5 inches).
My 29 has two perc clowns, one is 1 inch the other 2 inches. A six line wrasse and an orchid dottyback, both MAYBE an inch, most likely closer to 3/4 of an inch.
In my 45, I have a maroon clown (1 inch), a royal gramma (one inch), a yellow tang (3 inches, max), and a coral beauty (3 inches).
I could probably, MAYBE, put the tang and beauty in the aggressive, but I doubt seriously the rest of the fish would make it. What do you think? I fed my aggressive tank about 3 times a day, they do not pick on the damsels (yet) at all.
Please let me know what you all think, I am very stressed out. Thanks again!
Lynda

jimi

Well seeing as your pretty filled up I would continue with partial water changes in each tank and stop feeding for a few days. Possibly get another ammonia test kit to be sure. If the rock is somewhat cured which it has to be it wont take long for the ammonia to drop. Your fish should be ok. Just dont feed anymore for a few days.

beth

Administrator
Staff member
If your only problem is trying to save the coral beauty because he's the only one stressed, then move him wherever you can. When get hostility in the tank going, I usually try to build a safe haven in my tank where the smaller fish can hide out and where the bigger ones can't get to.
Gosh, with all these tanks, you don't have a hospital or QT???
[ April 27, 2001: Message edited by: Beth ]

heithingi

Hi Jimi and Beth,
Jimi, that is exactly what I am doing, is big water changes twice a day, now, and no feeding! I believe I might have made another mistake. The LFS told me the tang would only eat spriluna (sp)flakes, Formula two, and seaweed select. Well, I have upped my flake feeding in that tank, the 45, for the last two weeks. BAD IDEA, that.
Beth, believe it or not, the 29 WAS my Q tank. I am going to simply have to get another, and make sure I do not get tempted. The coral beauty is doing fine, the water changes seem to be helping. Believe it or not, I use three tests. Seachem, red sea, and Aqua....I forgot the name, will have to look it up. I am paranoid.
Thanks all,
Lynda

heithingi

Hi everyone,
Jimi, I decided to go with your advice and just continue water changes. So far, so good. Have done two today, have more water making for tomorrow. Still testing high, about .2 in the 45 gallon. Will test again in a bit after the second water change has a few hours to get circulated well. I thought long and hard about moving the fish into my 120, but I just cannot put these passive fish in the aggressive, I do not even feed live food, cannot put my pets in there with my other more aggressive pets.
So far, all the fish seem to be doing ok, all the inverts, that I can find, anyway, are doing ok, except for a baby CC star in my 45. He is moving, barely, but has some kind of webby stuff on him. Nothing in my books describes this, is this a result of the ammonia?
Thanks,
Lynda

heithingi

Hi,
Did testing again this afternoon, ammonia is still way too high, and now the nitrites and nitrates are going way up. These spikes are worse than when my tanks originally cycled. Even during the initial cycling, I never had all three spike at once.
My glass and rocks are literally getting redder by the minute, the water is cloudy...I am doing massive water changes, cleaning prefilters, not feeding...I really do not know what to do, now. I am so depressed.
Lynda