Ammonia Issues...Please Read

sailfin

I decided to do a complete levels check tonight since I have just started to add alkalinity to the tank. Long story short. My ammonia is all out of whack. It is reading 1.0-1.5 ppm. It has always been .25 or below. I only have two fish, a blue-green chromis and a sixline, in my 75 gallon tank. Some questions and level information below.
pH: 8.2
Ammonia: 1.0 ppm
Nitrite: 0
Nitrates: 0
Calcium: 495
Alkalinity: 2.1 meq/L (Hence the reason I am adding Bionic)
1. I know ammonia is somewhat toxic to fish. Are the LPS and SPS corals in there at a very high risk?
2. Do you think the addition of the Bionic could cause this rise?
3. I am guessing that water changes are the only way to help the situation?
Any and all help is welcome... :needhelp:

a&m aggie 04'

what kind of test kit are you using? Are they old, expired?
Unless something has died in your tank it shouldnt have any ammonia. Ive seen Bionic change the PH but not add ammonia to the tank.
Are your fish acting weird?? If you do have ammonia present it should break down into Nitrites...as your test kit should show.
HTH,
Mark

bigarn

If your test kit is good do a couple of water changes and consider running carbon for a while.

sailfin

Originally Posted by A&M Aggie 04'
what kind of test kit are you using? Are they old, expired?
Are your fish acting weird??
HTH,
Mark
For the ammonia tests I am using the aquarium pharmasuticals keit I know it isn't the best in the world, but it is all I have. I really didn't know they expired.
My fish are acting fine so far. Eating..no signs of stress. All corals have good polyp extensions and look fine as well. I even have a good sized frogspawn which should be a good indicator of this ammonia issue, but doesn't look any different.
Thanks for the input....

nm reef

There is a very real possibility that your ammonia readings are false. The test kit you are using has been known to show readings of .25 with no ammonia present and will continue to provide incorect readings after the experation date. I'd urge you to first check your ammonia with a different test or maybe ask a trusted LFS to check it and compare results. Then I'd urge you to purchase a Salifert test kit...much more reliable and accurate.

sailfin

Thanks for the input guys. I am using Salifert for just about everything. I live in an area where it is hard to get Salifert test kits without ordering them off of the internet.