Ammonia Levels

Big Mac

Hello everyone I'm new this and need help!! I have a 60 gallon tank that contains 2 clown fish, 1 blenny, and 5 peppermint shrimp. Also 2 live rocks and 2 dry live rocks. I use the API test kit and according to that my ammonia level is through the roof. My fish seem fine and don't seem to be stressed. I've done 2 50% water changes and the ammonia level won't budge......i test the water before putting it in the tank and it's of course at 0. Once I put it in the tank and test it I'm getting very high ammonia levels I use treated tap water in my water changes can someone plz help me

SALTWAT3RFISH

Administrator
Staff member
Don't do anymore water changes. Stay calm, we will help you figure it out. You have a low bioload for the aquarium volume. I would say to take a break from feeding until we sort this out. How long has the system been running? Can you upload a pic of your ammonia test results please?

SALTWAT3RFISH

Administrator
Staff member
Do you have a protein skimmer? If the issue is the rock having die off, running a skimmer, adding some carbon would be a very good idea. If that test kit is accurate, you're definitely flirting with disaster with the fish...

Big Mac

I'm thinking about taking the live rock out and replacing them with dry live rock......would that cause an issue

SALTWAT3RFISH

Administrator
Staff member
May want to take it out and let it finish curing in a bucket with a small pump for circulation. You would just have to change the bucket water every few days for about a month. Adding some dry base rock would be fine. It will make a good base for when your live rock finishes its die off. The nitrifing bacteria will remain, but sensitive life such as sponges and mollusks will be able to decay in the bucket.

Big Mac

May want to take it out and let it finish curing in a bucket with a small pump for circulation. You would just have to change the bucket water every few days for about a month. Adding some dry base rock would be fine. It will make a good base for when your live rock finishes its die off. The nitrifing bacteria will remain, but sensitive life such as sponges and mollusks will be able to decay in the bucket.
I'll do that and hopefully that solves my problem thanks a lot for your help