Ammonia Remover

disaster

Can someone please give me some feedback on ammonia remover products- such as AmQuel. It claims to remove ammonia,Nitrate,Nitrite in saltwater.
Thanks

rbaldino

Despite what it states, I still doubt it.
The only liquid additive I've ever seen actually reduce ammonia is Kent Marine's Ammonia Detox.

geridoc

I used Amquel Plus when the sponge in my QT tank turned out to not be cycled adequately and ammonia/nitrite levels rose quickly and were clearly causing distress to the fish in the tank. I used Amquel Plus as directed on the bottle, and almost immediately the fish seemed to do better. I continued to use the stuff for the duration of QT as the ammonia eventually fell, and nitrites got high, but had no problems with the fish, which is not in my DT and doing fine. My conclusion is that Amquel Plus does exactly what it claims - it reduces the toxicity of nitrogenous waste products. It would have been better (and cheaper) to have the QT tank adequately cycled, but in an emergency this chemical treatment seems to have worked.

reefkprz

Originally Posted by GeriDoc
I used Amquel Plus when the sponge in my QT tank turned out to not be cycled adequately and ammonia/nitrite levels rose quickly and were clearly causing distress to the fish in the tank. I used Amquel Plus as directed on the bottle, and almost immediately the fish seemed to do better. I continued to use the stuff for the duration of QT as the ammonia eventually fell, and nitrites got high, but had no problems with the fish, which is not in my DT and doing fine. My conclusion is that Amquel Plus does exactly what it claims - it reduces the toxicity of nitrogenous waste products. It would have been better (and cheaper) to have the QT tank adequately cycled, but in an emergency this chemical treatment seems to have worked.

amquell plus is excellent for detoxification of ammonia as GeriDoc stated. It is also the only water conditioner that I know of that also neutralizes pheromones in the water (such as growth inhibitors exuded by many fish). honestly its one of the only two water conditioners I ever recommend, the other being Prime while not as adept in neutralization off ammonia and such its more directed at neutralization of heavy metals. note that detoxifying does not actually remove them.