ammonia spike? ( and a thank you)

popoty

Hello, this is my first post. I have read most if not all of the previosly posted material. Thank you very much for this invaluble resource. It has made a rather difficult hobby seem not so scary.
I have been cycling my 55g FO tank now for two weeks with 2 Damsels. I have seen my ammonia level go from 0-2. The ammonia level has been at 2 now for about 5 days. With the Nitrite level at a steady .25 for about a week.
My question is; how high of an ammonia spike should I see? From what I have gathered it should shoot up between 8-10. Is this correct.
Just wanted to know if I am on the right track.
There is no LR or LS.
Thanks!

T

thomas712

Welcome to the board :)
Looking forward to hearing about your progress with your tank.
I cycled with a dead prawn shrimp in my 90 gal. Some people say to test every day. I put the shrimp in and didn't test anything for a month, just let the system roll. For you I don't recommend that route. You need to get in the habit of testing until you become good at it and know what to expect. Therfore I would test everyother day or so, so that you know what is going on in your system.
Like was stated ammonia will very, everyones cycle is different, shorter, longer, whatever. In a fish only I would think you would have a rather hard long cycle without liverock or sand. You might want to consider getting some baserock, its cheap and gives your fish something to call home instead of an empty box of water.
Good luck :)
Thomas

E

elan

i would read a few posts on the lava rock... just in case you want to turn your tank into a reef.... it may give off some heavy metals.

beaslbob

Originally posted by popoty
Hello, this is my first post. I have read most if not all of the previosly posted material. Thank you very much for this invaluble resource. It has made a rather difficult hobby seem not so scary.
I have been cycling my 55g FO tank now for two weeks with 2 Damsels. I have seen my ammonia level go from 0-2. The ammonia level has been at 2 now for about 5 days. With the Nitrite level at a steady .25 for about a week.
My question is; how high of an ammonia spike should I see? From what I have gathered it should shoot up between 8-10. Is this correct.
Just wanted to know if I am on the right track.
There is no LR or LS.
Thanks!

Sound like you are progressing nicely. Sometimes ammonia spikes will occur with a total duration of less than a day. It is possible to miss it entirely. My nitrite spike pegged the test kit but that was with 5 damsels not 2.
The fish can go a few days without food. I think you will find the nitrate will return to 0.0 when you stop feeding the fish.
Once that happend resume feeding the fish very lightly.