Ammonia Spike :(

xavier

I have had the tank going for around 6 months and all the sudden last weekend my ammonia just shot up. Any way to fix quick? Chemicals, more bio filter?
It is a 55 gallon tank
1 Millennium (Big one)
1 Magnum HO
1 SeaClone Skimmer
1 Lion (med)
1 Humma Trigger (med)
1 Undulated (small)
1 Blue Line Trigger (small)
1 Lunare Wrasse (med)
Maybe a Wet Dry system for more biological filtration? Help

krazzydart

do you have any live plants,live rock, or any thing...???are you over feeding??? did you add all the fish in in a short time??? Having carlopa(plant)helps cut down on some of the nitrates. Was your tank fully cycled???what did you cycle it with???

krazzydart

one more thing...there are some products out called amonia lock...it is supposta make your ammonia non-toxic/////Good Luck

xavier

Thanks
Hey Rock! Is Bio Booster a liquid chemical?
I have no live rock or nothing. All fishes were added through out 5 months.
The tank cycled and I used a few Damsels for this. Many survived and reside in a smaller 10g tank.
Help

barry cuda

That's a pretty big bioload for a 55, especially without any liverock. I don't know much about that Magnum but I can't imagine it offers as much surface area for bacteria as you'd get in a wet-dry or, even better, 50-100 lbs of rock.
Adding rock probably isn't a quick or a good fix right now since your ammonia is high...but you might want to start curing some liverock so you can add it ASAP. Or, to go the cheap route, add some base rock and let it colonize. But I'm suspicious you may just not have enough biofiltration and could have hit some critical threshold where the bacteria can't keep up.

debbie g

I know you didn't ask about this...but it has been my experience not to put a lion and a trigger in the same tank.
I believe that one day the trigger will decide to attack your lion and it is not pretty. I would consider selling one or the other if I were you. Good luck with the ammonia prob.