Ammonia test!

saltymarine

I have tested my ammonia with this test kit that I have and it doesn't seem accurate. Both times that I have tested it the test tube turns blue instead of the colors on the reference card. It makes it very difficult to determine what the actual Ammonia level is. I am going to do a 25% water change this weekend to be sure that it is ok but this is really confusing. The other tests seem to work fine. Thank you for any input/advice you can offer!

shyfish

Hi,
Check the expiration date, just bought means nothing. I Know!
There is no blue color... Are you sure you have the right vial for the test and didn't get something switched?
Are you sure someone at the store didn't switch something? People mess around with stuff all the time, and then don't put things back as they found them.
It happens but not often... The factory mixed the bottles up and it isn’t the right test at all. Go look at other test kits at the store and see if it matches yours.
Something is wrong with your test kit if the color is not on the card, and you followed directions.

saltymarine

I thought that too so I emailed the company and I have called them and of course they say their normal business hours for support are M-F 0800-500 EST and there is no answer go figure. I am sure I am using the right tests they say Ammonia 1 and Ammonia 2 on them and the only thing I can think of is that it is an expired test kit in which case I will take it back to the store!

gmann1139

Ok, no experience with that one.
My only other recommendation is to try testing in daylight. I know some of my test kits only display correctly if they're under 5500K daylight, rather than a 'normal' incandescent bulb.
If that doesn't work, whine to the LFS that sold it to you, and whine to the manufacturer. I've gotten free replacements that way.

lee1

I have used the API kit and I do get dark blue as a reading for ammonia. It means that the ammonia is off the charts! I know my test kit is accurate because I have a QT and the ammonia color is yellow, plus as my DT was cycling the color went from light green, to dark green, to midnight blue.
Maybe have your water tested at your LFS to see if you have a true ammonia problem.

john57

+1 on the blue color. Ammonia is off the charts. I've got the same API kit. It will go down with the cycling process, but I would keep up the water changes.