amphipod problems

mushroomss

Over the last month or so i have noticed 2 colonys of zoos that i have have been getitng munched on.The patch in my avatr is down to literally no zoos besied a 30 polyp frag i made.So i got a flashlight and looked at 1 in the mourning and found amphipods crawling all over my zoos and munching them
I have a 24 gallon nano cube with a very aggressive female ocelarris and male and a fire shrimp.is there anyhting i can do to get rid of these pests?and before i get and bad replies YES im sure the amphipods are eating them.

coral keeper

Is there any kind of fish or invert or something that can eat or kill these guys? I know this kind of tied pool fish loves to eat them but they are cold water fish and die in about a week to 1 month. I forgot the name of the fish, ill try to find the name. Cant scooter blenny eat these amphipods? Or a Mandarinfish?

coral keeper

Originally Posted by Coral Keeper
Is there any kind of fish or invert or something that can eat or kill these guys? I know this kind of tied pool fish loves to eat them but they are cold water fish and die in about a week to 1 month. I forgot the name of the fish, ill try to find the name. Cant scooter blenny eat these amphipods? Or a Mandarinfish?
The cold water fish that loves to eat the amphipods are called Tidepool Sculpin.

mushroomss

i wouldent want a cold water fish.+ it will just die anyways and i dont like to kill anything.Im thinking scooter blenny or mandarin like you said.I hope someone will chime in and help us out.

coral keeper

Originally Posted by mushroomss
i wouldent want a cold water fish.+ it will just die anyways and i dont like to kill anything.Im thinking scooter blenny or mandarin like you said.I hope someone will chime in and help us out.
Yeah, can anyone plz help?

mushroomss

i agree but i dont think my clownnfish would be ok with that.She is Very aggressive and large for her type.Is there anything else i can do?

earlybird

Originally Posted by mushroomss
ocelarris
Sure they are the friendliest. Probably won't notice a mandarin. How big's the tank, how old, and how much LR?

shrimpi

I dont know that a mandarin would be the 'choice' for exterminating a pest.
They probably arent amphipods maybe one of the bad critters like this. Amphipods eat detritus. Maybe you have zoo eating nudibranches. They can be very small- like a 'pod'

Try to get one out of the tank with a turkey baster or something and look at it closely before coming up with an attack plan.
JMO
Good Luck to you and your coral

Jessica

mushroomss

yea ocealarris clowns are supposidly the friendliest out there lol.Well mine isent.It is a 24 gallon with 10-15 pounds live rock about 5 pounds in the rear.It has been up for about 9-10 months with no signifacent problems besides aiptasia and bubble algae.I kept them when i was new to the hobbie because i thought they looked ''cool'' lol.And i am without a doubt these are amphipods.I get a good look at them every day.Every time i feed my sun polyps and palythoas i see them run out and steal food lol.I have ided them in multiple books and on this website.I am 100% sure that is what they are.
p.s my ocelarris is so aggressive i have to fend it off with a net every time i feed.And it will occasionally even attack my fire shrimp.

mushroomss

and yes shrimpi they are beneficial svavengers that clean up your detritus.But this is not the first time i have heard of them getting a taste for live coral.