Amphipods, copopods, isopods

T

thomas712

Time to restart this thread, I'm sure the old one has pic issues.

T

thomas712

You won't find these guy I hope: bioluminescentamphipods

T

thomas712

Isopod -- these guys are actually very tiny and usually are seen crawling along glass and rocks

T

thomas712

Here is another one that I hope you never get, he likes to munch on acropora

T

thomas712

Originally Posted by Clownme
How would these get in your tank, and what destruction can they cause?
Most common amphipods, copepods and isopods will be benificial to our tanks, they are part of the infauna that help keep sandbeds healthy. They live in the liverock as well. They come in as natural hitch hikers in live rock and live sand. A very natural and nutritious food for fish. They are detritus and left over food eaters, they help break down any larger organics into smaller detritus parts that a sandbed can then convert to a harmless gas, they also help keep a sand bed gently stirred.
A few like the Cirolanid Isopod you never want to see in your tank. Here is an artical about them by Bang Guy.
https://www.saltwaterfish.com/vb/showthread.php?t=64377

mr_bill

Bump,
Thanks alot for this info Thomas712, I was looking for a pic of what I believe to be a amphibod that has tail whiskers almost like a silverfish insect. Do you know of one?
Thankyou

T

thomas712

There are litterally thousands of Amphipods,copepods and isopods, many are even undescovered. Remember there are adults and larval stages, you could have some type of shrimp or anything else.
**I'm sure many folks have caught my typo in the title. Its copepods, not copopods.

monalisa

At this point, my skimmer is limping along for some reason. In my quest to get it running properly again, I noticed that the skimmer is chocked full of amphipods...I NEVER knew they were there till now. Will they still be beneficial to my system????
Lisa :happyfish

mr_bill

Originally Posted by MonaLisa
I noticed that the skimmer is chocked full of amphipods...I NEVER new they were there till now. Will they still be beneficial to my system????
your skimmer is in your sump or wet/dry right? Do you have a sponge on the intake?

T

thomas712

I don't think anyone has a sponge filter for the intake of a skimmer, maybe under the output like I do, but not in the intake.
I've seen the pods in the skimmer as well. About twice a year I pull my entire skimmer for total maintanance, now I just pour the water from the skimmer into my refugium, so I have more adult pods to reproduce. I assume they get into the skimmer as larval pods.
Thomas