AmQuel

jden092901

I have a 30 gallon reef...I cant keep my nitrates down...they stay 5-10. I have a skillter, which is working very well...its always filling up with the ugly brownish green waist. I do weekly water changes of 1.3 gallons. I use RO water from Walmart, I made sure its RO! Has anyone used Amquel or any product that helps take out nitrates? I just dont want it to hurt my coral or fish.
Thanks,
Josh

petjunkie

How many fish do you have in there? Amquel is just going to make you skimmer go nuts so I wouldn't add it, I would step up the water changes, do four or five gallons a week instead. 5-10 in nitrates isn't going to kill anything, IME. Mine are always at 2-5.

srfisher17

Amquel will not directly remove nitrates, neither will any other SW product that I know of. They can claim to help reduce nitrates because they neutralize ammonia, which eventfully turns to nitrate thru the bio-filter process. I don't think nitrates 0f 5-10 ppm is a real big concern, just don't let them creep higher. There are folks on this forum who can help you get nitrates lower, but I'm not very knowledgeable in that area.

tinmanny

Nitrates go up for one or some or allof the following reasons plus there are more
#1 most common is over feeding
to avoid this only feed what fish will eat in less than 2 min or till the food hits the bottom then stop
#2 lazy cleanup crew due to food left on the bottom after feeding
Feed less
#3 hare algae or any form for that matter will hold detrus and that causes nitrates
clean and remove all algae possible
#4 poor water quality
do water changes often 10 to 20% at least weekly
#5 dead spots in tank allowing detrus to build up and cause nitrates
add more water movers pumps
#6 dirty filters are nitrate factorys
clean often
#7 skimmers are nitrate factorys when left dirty for long
Clean often
#8 bio balls are nitrate factories when let to get realy dirty
Clean a fiew at a time like weekly till all have been cleande and keep that way or remove slowly over time and add algae in sump instead
#9 Gravel is too dirty causing nitrate rise
when doing water changes vacume only sections of the sand NEVER all at once
#10 too big a bio load (too many fish)
quit adding and give 1 or 2 to a friend
that is all I can think of right now but they might help find the problem
Good Luck
Manny

srfisher17

Good Luck
Manny 'QUOTE'
A very good list; I would add crushed coral substrate, an often over-looked nitrate factory. No how you clean this stuff, it will trap nitrate producing gunk. A PhD at a Ms. research facility told me she thought CC could be the #1 source of SW tank failures. Maybe a little extreme; but I've seen established tanks go from about 160 ppm nitrate to less that 20 in just a few days---simply by replacing the CC.

sepulatian

As mentioned, bump up the amount of water that you change out. Your nitrate level is not too high, but is border line for corals. Start doing 3 gallons a week. Don't add the amquell. It will give you false readings. Just do slightly larger changes. Be sure that everything is the same as your display tank. Check the SG, PH, and temp before the water is added. Be sure that it is mixed for 48hrs. Once the nitrate is lower then you can go back to your original schedule. Think about adding a refugium. It will benefit your reef greatly!