an aggresive reef?

8x8nhl

hey i was wondring if you all could help me come up with a stocking list for an aggresive reef i also want an eel..... wich lion fish are reef safe. also what corals would be good?
KEEP IN MIND I NEED ALL REEF SAFE AND INVERTS ty

thangbom

yes ser!!!! the size of the tank matter.. im having a little hard time turning my agressive to a semi reef.. my 155 has about 200 lbs of lr.. so far i have only succesfully added green star polyps and shrooms... but then agin my tnak is really agressive.. ( stupid file fisg bit a nice chunk out of my finger yesturday.. was hand feeding the tank.. he's about 8'' and almost made me bleed.. and i have thick and tuff skin on my finger frome work.. i handle sheet metal and stuff..)

ophiura

What kind of lighting do you have? This is critical for corals, but consider that one of the reasons that people do not do a lot of aggressive reefs is because corals require pristine water conditions. Relative to other tanks their size, coral tanks tend to be quite understocked with small fish...larger predators eat more and produce more waste, negatively impacting water quality. So you'll have to be sure to stay on top of that, or you'll definitely have problems. For sure at least you are limited to LPS and softies, IMO.

8x8nhl

well im not shure about the lighting im getting a tank from the lfs he says there called bassalts there are 3 lights with this box he says makes ech bulb 100 wats i dont know what hes talkin about i think im gona get these since im 11 and im short on cash but what is he talkin about any ides?

sfe

Originally Posted by 8x8nhl
well im not shure about the lighting im getting a tank from the lfs he says there called bassalts there are 3 lights with this box he says makes ech bulb 100 wats i dont know what hes talkin about i think im gona get these since im 11 and im short on cash but what is he talkin about any ides?
Wow your 11? I would go with VHO's, T5's, PC's or MH. Those are really the best types of lighting. Don't listen to the guy at the lfs. Just listen from you hear on the thread. As for the aggressive stocking list, there isn't really to much to choose from. I have what I would consider an aggressive reef. I have a niger, sfe, yellow tang, wrasse and two clowns in my 55. Many people would disagree with me but I don't listem to them. My tank is thriving and no one is stressed. My tang loves his caves and my soft corals are doing good.
As for an 11 year old, your options and resources are limited. Se what othe people have to say.

8x8nhl

well my parents are funding this ........ :cheer:
:thinking:
anyway.......... being 11 isn't bad the guy at the lfs offered me a job . 2 bad hes an hour away...... anyway i cant affored mh i dont think........... my parents are only doin like 1.5k.....

sfe

well my parents are funding this ........ :cheer:
:thinking:
anyway.......... being 11 isn't bad the guy at the lfs offered me a job . 2 bad hes an hour away...... anyway i cant affored mh i dont think........... my parents are only doin like 1.5k.....
for your wholesetup?

psusocr1

i have an aggressive tank that is slowly turnign into a reef as well as agressive and i keep a singray and a shark...i keep simple things though such as mushrooms and polyps..gunna trytsome zoos soon

unleashed

well what you need to figure out when it comes to reefing is what fish wont eat coral triggers file fish are pickers and you may have a problem keping coroals of anytype with them.for agresive fish basicly fish eaters non pickers can be kept in a reef enviroment.dont go crazy buying super agresive fish to place into your reef system.
I have a 300 semi agressive reef but all fish are coral safe for the most part but not all fish safe and invert safe. my stocking list is
vol lion spotted
bamboo shark
2 maroon clowns/with sebae anenome
unicorn tang
salifin tang
hippo tang
scopus tang
lined eye surgeon
pair of bird wrasses
austraian multi colored dottyback
coral beauty
cardenal fish
green chromis
bi colored damsel(i wish my lion would eat this fish lol)
flame hawk
scooter benny
pearlescale butterfly(eats aipasia like theres no tomorrow)
a large turbo snails
maybe have a few hermits havent seen those in a while
1 small lobster(hitchiker i found after a yr of smaller reef being set up but hides very well)
300 + lbs of LR
various soft corals button pollups and zoas,mushrooms a few other type of corals uch as pagoda cups hammertorch, candycanes ect.almost all surfaces of my Lr is covered by corals
and yes i have lost a few fish to my lion already its a price i pay to keep him in my reef
caral are not inexpencive by any means I have well over 15 thousand dollars wrapped up into the my reef tank alone not including the tank itself. or maintainance cost. do your research very well before stocking it with fish than can wipe it out over nite and yes some fish can do that.

unleashed

because your going with reef i would go with a dwarf if it was me. alot of the larger species than im able keep wont do as well in a 75 try keeping species that wont max out over 5-6 in at full grown small but just large enough for your lion not to use as a snack.some fish that are small will do well with lions do to its habits such as flame hawk(they outwit the lions almost always) if you need any links to good web sites fel free to email me for some. here is a good link to reference your choises of lions
{edit - link violation}

8x8nhl

would this be over stocked for a 75 gal
1 flame angle
1 fuzzy dwarf
1 physedilic fish
2 perc clowns
1 yellow watchman goby

unleashed

would this be over stocked for a 75 gal
1 flame angle
1 fuzzy dwarf
1 physedilic fish
2 perc clowns
1 yellow watchman goby
looks good from what i can tell but i will check compatibilty chart if you like in not familiar with the phycedelic fish do you know what genus family it comes from? asl far as kawalaser
no im sorry i dont use it but if you send me an email to lyndog13@aol.com ill be more than happy to send a link to information on this for you(sorry not allowed to post the link here

ophiura

You can also simply search this site as there are plenty of people who use kalkwaser and can give you advice.
Don't forget the experience that is right here on the board, or posted in the archives.