And.......

batch 3 was delivered this afternoon!!!!!!

I have not counted the fry yet, I just noticed Mr Green was skinny when I got home......my B-Day is tomorrow, what a neat present!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Appears to be 44 total between the three batches......I did end up losind one or two to an accident :eek:(

veronicad

Congrat's on batch #3!!!

So, a loss or two due to a filter accident? I'm sorry; just trying to learn from all experiences here. Can't wait for even more pics!!
So, I've looked at the tank I think I want to get. It's an Eclipse 5-gal hex. It has a 3 part (?I think?) filtration system which includes a bio-wheel; everything is hidden in the hood and seems streamlined and neat-looking. I think I'll have to put a sponge over the filter intake or something, but other than that, any other modifications I'll need to make with a system like this? I'll need to buy the heater separate, but that's ok.
Also, I recently read somewhere in all these posts that test strips are completely unreliable? Have any of you found that to be true? What do you use to test, then? A whole chem lab?

Ok, goodnight all; congrat's again NY !! Waiting for a head count and wishing you continued success!

Thanks!!
And yes, the loss was due to a filter accident
I had a stocking over my sponge that I had on my intake so no one got caught in the "course" sponge and I took it off to clean it and I knew I was going to be switching filters and I "thought" everyone was doing ok but somehow they got THRU the "prefilter sponge" and got to the intake

To answer ur question YES strips stink! I got a whole kit for 20$ an it has lasted a LONG time....very good investment IMO
I know the hex u r speaking of. Rykna sent me 3 BOXES of goodies and it included that set up......I am ITCHING to set it up but my sweeties says "u already have 5 tanks running" LOL
so I am waiting!
But no I dont think other than adding a heater and the sponge u would have to do nything, that should cover it!!!!

veronicad

Sorry about the filter accident. So, do you buy a new, say, knee-high to tie over the end?
Ummm Rykna's not getting out of the hobby???

So, is there something in particular you could advise me to look for in choosing a test kit? It needs to test Ph, Ammonia, Nitrite and Nitrate, Yes? What else? Or do I need separate equipment to test other things, like specific gravity? Salinity?
Do you have a head count yet?
BTW, you've GOT to quit getting up so early everyday. You're making me look lazy!!!

Also looking at the 1 or 2 gal systems they've got for a nursery tank when the time comes.....

veronicad

Another quick Q. Do you need to buy special water for topping/water changes? Or can you let a bucket of tap water sit out for a day or two? Or perhaps run your water through like a brita-type filter? Or do you have to let your tap water sit out, test it, and then decide? I don't know why I didn't think of this before!

Well actually most of the time I am up well before I start posting
Aiden is still nursing at night and between 4 & 6 he feels the need to stay as close to me as possible and as soon as I lay on my stomach without fail within 5 min he is wanting to snuggle asclose as he can get and will nurse to fall into the "deeper sleep" I envy u for being able to sleep past 6am

Rykna is NOT gettin out of the hobby just downsizing her equipment list which apparently was VERY big!
I made her PROMISE she was just on a break

As far as a head count I didnt get past 44 but who knows for sure

And I replaced the filter I was using completely....Rykna sent me a few I though were better they are "air driven" and provides extra oxygen for them so that has been on less than 24hrs now and what I did was cut an eheim circular carbon thing and cut it to size and attached it to the small intake at the bottom with a rubber band so I will keep ya posted on hot its going
The hex I have, I got a Wal-Mart for my bettas, it came with an under gravel filter and air pump but I switched the filter obviously hehe I think it cost 19.95 or something but cheap

This evenings head cout is still at least 44 with all 3 batches!!!!!!!
even including my lost lil ones (2 I think)

All appear to be eating and swimming well.....they now have the newest expectant father with them so they seem happy! Yes I said ANOTHER preggo!!! I will be swimming in dwarves soon

sciknen

do you have any pictures
im thinkin about makin a dwarf horse set up...just really looking for ideas
im in the process of building my 1st tank 55g gonna be reef
but i want something small for like my bedroom.
im really looking for pics of the set up and everything
thanks alot

I posted pics in another thread yesterday...its got pics of my pipes and full tank shots too
PS: Fry cout is up to 46 as of 3am this morning....I couldnt sleep

veronicad

Just thinking of it makes me tired. I hope you're not coming down with anything. Still, 46 and doing well; can't be prouder, I'll bet!

Yup, 46 even with the loss from the other day!!!!
Lil pigs LOVE to eat too!!!!
I will have to post more pics b/c seeing ALL of them together is really neat!!!
Oh and I am feeling fine, its that lil snuggle bug that gets me up and today I just couldnt fall back to sleep, prolly b/c my girls arent home and I NEVER sleep good when they arent ALL home if u know what I mean.
I cant even take a nap during the day while they are at school b/c I worry I wouldnt hear them get home