Anemone died in 2 days

psuguy

I purchased a green bubble tip anemone from my LFS on Saturday. He looked great and was moving around in the tank. On Monday he still looked great. Then on Wednesday night he was dead. Already rotting and I had to take him out of the tank. I checked the parameters and they were:
PH 7.8
Ammonia 2.5 (caused by dead anemone). Usually at 0
Nitrite 0
Nitrate 0
SG 1.025
All my fish seem fine. Anyone have any idea what could have happened?

psuguy

Forgot to mention my lighting:
Coralife T5 dual lamp with 28 watt 10000k and 28 watt actinic bulbs

flower

Quote:
Originally Posted by psuguy http:///t/397619/anemone-died-in-2-days#post_3544648
I purchased a green bubble tip anemone from my LFS on Saturday. He looked great and was moving around in the tank. On Monday he still looked great. Then on Wednesday night he was dead. Already rotting and I had to take him out of the tank. I checked the parameters and they were:
PH 7.8
Ammonia 2.5 (caused by dead anemone). Usually at 0
Nitrite 0
Nitrate 0
SG 1.025
All my fish seem fine. Anyone have any idea what could have happened?

Hi,

I HATE Coralife anything, but T5s are not strong enough for an anemone, they need Metal Halides or very powerful LEDs... but light starvation takes longer then a few days, your anemone died because the parameters probably were off. They need near perfect water quality, that doesn't fluctuate
. When you say USUALLY at 0, does not mean always. That's why it is recommended to not get an anemone for at least 6 months to a year of setting up a tank, they need a mature stable environment, new tanks (under 1 year old) goes through all kinds of changes that first year.

There are other things you have to keep up on, such as phosphate levels. You were not checking reef conditions
, you were using only regular fish saltwater tests, such as when you first set up a tank...but when you have inverts such as anemones or Sea Apples, you have to check alkalinity/DKH, calcium and phosphates....just like if you had coral.

psuguy

This is not a new tank. The ammonia is always 0. I haven't checked any levels other than the basics. I suppose something is off there. Someone said it might be electrical current in the water. Anyone had that issue?

flower

Quote:
Originally Posted by psuguy http:///t/397619/anemone-died-in-2-days#post_3544682
This is not a new tank. The ammonia is always 0. I haven't checked any levels other than the basics. I suppose something is off there. Someone said it might be electrical current in the water. Anyone had that issue?

You would know if the electric was in the water as soon as you put your hand in there....I don't recommend testing it that way. I had a heater break and electrocute my tank once. Check the other stuff I listed. Are you sure it was dead? anemones flush the water out of themselves and look pretty dead when they do, but then they re-inflate...the ammonia level at 2.5 however does sound like a dead thing in the water.

Also the anemone may not have been as healthy as you thought.