Anemone Help!

I am moving a bubble tip anemone from a 90 gallon tank to a 225 gallon tank.
How would I go about releasing it's foot with out hurting it or me?
it is in between my back glass and a rock it's foot is stuck on both, it has been in the same spot for about 3 years.
Please help I don't want to hurt it and I've never moved one before.
Thank you.

deton8it

You can try an ice cube up against the glass to get it to release from glass. Then try an ice cube in a ziplock to get it to release from the rock. Just make sure that the fresh water from the ice doesn't get on the anemone. OR, ice cube on the glass and then remove the anemone and rock together. Once you have the anemone and rock moved, pull the rock out of the tank but leave the anemone suspended barely in the water. It will eventually release from the rock in order to be more comfortable in the water.
If either of these options are going to hurt your anemone then don't do them. I did this with my Sebae and it worked out fine. DON'T pull it off the rock and risk tearing the foot.
John

flower

Hi,
Running a power head at it should bother it enough to make it want to move, aim it at the foot...once it releases you can scoop it up and acclimate it to the new home. Cover the power heads so the unhappy anemone won't get sucked up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deton8it http:///t/395076/anemone-help#post_3516725
You can try an ice cube up against the glass to get it to release from glass. Then try an ice cube in a ziplock to get it to release from the rock. Just make sure that the fresh water from the ice doesn't get on the anemone. OR, ice cube on the glass and then remove the anemone and rock together. Once you have the anemone and rock moved, pull the rock out of the tank but leave the anemone suspended barely in the water. It will eventually release from the rock in order to be more comfortable in the water.
If either of these options are going to hurt your anemone then don't do them. I did this with my Sebae and it worked out fine. DON'T pull it off the rock and risk tearing the foot.
John
A Temp drop that sudden will not hurt it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flower http:///t/395076/anemone-help#post_3516861
Hi,
Running a power head at it should bother it enough to make it want to move, aim it at the foot...once it releases you can scoop it up and acclimate it to the new home. Cover the power heads so the unhappy anemone won't get sucked up.
Hello,
I will try this, but where it is now is right across from a power head and it doesn't seam to mind it, it's flowing right across the top of it maybe if I point it at it's foot.
What do you use to scoop it up? a net? When I put it in the tank it was on a rock.
This is an anemone that hasn't moved in 3 years, he really likes it's home, I just hope it likes it's new home.

flower

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmstillwell01 http:///t/395076/anemone-help#post_3516873
Hello,
I will try this, but where it is now is right across from a power head and it doesn't seam to mind it, it's flowing right across the top of it maybe if I point it at it's foot.
What do you use to scoop it up? a net? When I put it in the tank it was on a rock.
This is an anemone that hasn't moved in 3 years, he really likes it's home, I just hope it likes it's new home.
Yes aim the PH right at the foot, so you can see it pushing on it...he won't like it believe me, and it will let go, but keep an eye when he does before he finds another happy place. I wear doctor gloves (non powdered)...I just scoop them up with my hand, I don't think they can sting a person enough to hurt, but I'm allergic to sea critters, even handling mysis shrimp in the fish food makes me itch.
I don't know about the ice cube method, so I can't comment on it.
LOL...That doesn't mean much, I don't know about lots of things.
By the way...the water flowing across the top of it is why it's a happy place, since anemones rely on the water column to bring food to it. For a creature with no brain, they seem to know just what to do to get the food to come to them.

I will try the power head first if that doesn't work then I will try the ice thing.
My tank should be ready this weekend, I will let you know how it goes.
Thank you.

So I got the tank set up and I started by moving the coral around the anemone and it's foot came off the wall and stayed on the rock so all I had to do is move the rock into the new tank.
that was yesterday.
Well I came home from work today and my BTA has split and is now a momma!

It's weired I've had it for more then three years and the night I move it, it splits

I guess that a good sign for my new tank
The only problem is most of the new half is going under the rock I hope it comes out.

tthemadd1

Well stress can cause splitting and after three years its like you being placed on mars. Enough stress. Give it a few weeks to close up and it should be good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tthemadd1 http:///t/395076/anemone-help#post_3517427
Well stress can cause splitting and after three years its like you being placed on mars. Enough stress. Give it a few weeks to close up and it should be good.
I did not know that stress will cause them to split, I thought they had to be happy and healthy to split Thanks for the info.
I was looking at it this morning before work and it might be splitting again I'll have to keep an eye on it.
should I be feeding it while it's going through the splitting or should I just leave it alone for awhile?