Anemone ID Please

fishmamma

I had a couple of these come in on some zoanthid colonies. They have been moving about, one was on the glass. This one has been all over the colony but not appearing to bother it. They are green in color though I think I may have seen a pink one as well. I am assuming they are some type of pest but do not look like the aptasia anemone to me. Any help appreciated. Also, do I remove them?
Thanks!!

mr_bill

I have the exact same thing, but still dont know either. Been in my tank for a year and has hardly grown. Maybe some kind of polyp instead of a anemone, I tried offering it food and it didn't stick.

hagfish

Looks like a majano to me. Many consider them a nuisance. Although some have pretty good color.

dogstar

Hard to say for sure but looks like it could be some type of a mushroom coral,
but if it is an anemone then its majano sp. Normaly they spread and become pest, sting corals, ect.. But I have had just one majano now for around 2 years and has not split or spread so I keep an eye on it. Its got about 3 inches big. Luckily mines not near any corals.

fishmamma

Well at first I did think it was some sort of mushroom ut then it was moving across the zoanthids...I also tried feeding it and it was not interested. Hmm. Really don't know what to do here. I hate to kill it if it will not cause any harm, but also don't want an infestation of pest anemones in my nano reef.

hagfish

Since it's already touching some zoos you'll know if it is causing them harm. If it does, kill it. I've never killed one, but I believe some Joe's juice squirted into it does the trick. You'd want to research that though.

fishmamma

It did not appear to be bothering the zoas. I removed the small one from the glass, but drooped it si it nestled into a hole in my live rock. The larger one is ina container on top of the tank while I try and figure out what to do with it. I was able to pry them all free of their footings.

mr_bill

Originally Posted by Dogstar
Hard to say for sure but looks like it could be some type of a mushroom coral,
but if it is an anemone then its majano sp. Normaly they spread and become pest, sting corals, ect.. But I have had just one majano now for around 2 years and has not split or spread so I keep an eye on it. Its got about 3 inches big. Luckily mines not near any corals.

I really like the look of that one you got there Dogstar. Thats a majano then? Well given the choise of that or aiptasia I'd take the majano any day. Mine is about .5" and it's been in the tank for at least a year.
Also I've always used the fishfood test to determine anemone from other things and this one isn't taking any food.

fishmamma

Interesting. I have one like yours in another tank Mr. Bill and it will take food. It is growing but hasn't moved and since it is a FOWL tank for now I have left it be.