anemone in little or no water?

rach4194

I was considering purchasing an anemone from this site. When I was reading about how they were shipped it said that they are shipped with little or no water? Everything I have read and people I have talked to said NEVER expose them to air. Has anyone purchased one from this site?
Also I have a pinked tipped anemone (small) is it OK to put a white sebae anemone with the him? I was looking for something my Percula Clownfish might like I have read they like carpets the best. I also know it pretty much luck if they will take to any.
TIA
Rachel:confused:

T

thomas712

Many anemones are shipped without or very little water, it has been found that they actually have a higher survival rate this way. I have not really found out why this is, but have been searching for an answer. They say that once you recieve your anemone that all you have to do is float the bag until it has been temperature acclimated than release it into the water, I prefer a drip or slow acclimation for a couple of hours.
As kip points out, survival rate is poor unless the tank is mature, stable, excellent water conditions, and good lighting is in place.
It is very inadvisable to mix anemone species together, if they were to meet one (or both) would most likely die as they would sting each other.
Thomas

sly

When I ordered my snails they were shipped almost dry. They were wrapped up in a wet newspaper and they all lived. I've heard that this is because if they are shipped in water, they quickly use up their avaliable oxygen and could die. If they are shipped in just a moist environment they will do better because if their gills are kept moist then they can simply absorb oxygen from the air. Maybe this is why anemones are shipped this way...

rach4194

I am fairly new to SW, it took me a little over a year to get my water perfect. I have learned patience and have done a lot of research.
I check my water regularly, every two weeks. In the year I have had my tank I have only had one casualty and that was my fault, during a water change one was hiding in a piece of coral and accidentally got bleached needless to say I was devastated. I am very dedicated and agree with you about getting an anemone being new to this. My LFS wont even sell people they don't know anything without checking their water first. They say I am ready after many water checks. I do have all the correct lighting, I just need to do more research on the care of them, that is why I came to this site, so many people say so many different things.
Anyway thanks for all your advise.