Anemone issues

lexluethar

First off hello, hope everyone has been doing well lately.
I have a BTA anemone, i've had it for a little over a year and everything has been going great up until a few weeks ago. Nothing has changed, it has been under 150 watt MH in a 30 gallon tank. I haven't added or subracted anything from my tank in about 7 months other than crabs.
I noticed a while back (i've even posted on this forum about it) that my anemone would get twisted at the base. It would stretch out to get the light during the day, and at times the 'head' of the anemone would get twisted by current or by the anemone just swaying the same direction. So the base of the anemone would get very twisted b/c the foot would stay in place.
I didn't think much of it as every few days the anemone would deflate and that would usually unravel the twisted column. This has been going on and off again since i've had the anemone. Had multiple people tell me that it is fine and it happens. Okay no biggy right?
Well come to find out a few weeks ago i noticed a small tear where the anemone would twist. The tear got worse for a few days then it began to heal. Finnaly it totally tore the foot off (slowly over a few days and never large chunks, so the anemone healed the hole).
Now i have an anemone w/o a foot and a foot of an anemone still sticking to the rock. The anemone is almost completely healed though other than maybe a piece the size of a few pen heads. My worry is the anemone really isn't 'moving' around as if it did have a foot. It is still sticky, and still sticks the rockwork. It still reacts to things touching it, and actually ate last night - all be it not as fast as it did when it had the foot. It is still inflated too.
Will the anemone grow another foot? I've notcied the bottom is slowly starting to look similar to a foot and not the column of an anemone.
Will the old foot grow into another anemone? It is still there and is about the size of a quarter. It also isn't damaged, as it healed while tearing as well.
What if anything should I do? Normally i wouldn't be worried if it was attaching to the rock, but it seems to be floating more than anything, unless it sticks to a rock w/ the sides of it's body. I've turned off most PH except my filter and one PH at the top that airates my tank.

kingsmith

I am not really so sure about the anemone top but it sunds like maybe it split itself. I did have a star that attacked my condi several times and the last time all that was left was a small foot. After constant microvert injections in has recovered 110% so I think the foot should be fine and hopefully it just split itself and now you have 2

lexluethar

Haha sweet, honestly I always thought a split would be hear top to bottom. Like straight down the middle, not it just detaching from its foot.

kingsmith

To be honest thats how I would have imagined it Too maybe someone else with spliting experience will chime in

peachie98

Weird! Mine just split but it pretty much split down the middle (2 similar looking anenomes...one just a bit smaller). This is the first time I've had one split though..maybe each one is unique in how it splits?

perfectdark

The left over foot may generate a clone, because it didnt split where its mouth is im not sure. The other portion of the anemone should heal just fine if infection doesnt set in.
Good to see you back Lex

lexluethar

Hey dark! Good to see you are still around as well. I come back every now and again to see what is going on, but my experience really hasn't changed a whole lot. Still have the same tank, fish, and inverts. Other than a move I haven't had any issues or changed anything so i haven't had much to add to the boards.
I went home today during lunch and the bottom of the foot looked completely healed up, no visible holes at all. It was handing onto some rock work w/ the head pointing up, but still had it's nub of a foot pointing towards the front so i got a good look.
Ya i wasn't sure either about the foot, its been 5 or so days and it still looks the same, so i wasn't sure if there was enough 'material' passed to the foot to grow back an entire anemone (mouth, tenticles).
Sweet deal about it growing the foot back, I honestly thought it would, but it kinda worried me when it wasn't 'walking' around a lot and seemed to just float wherever. I'm sure it would heal faster and find a spot if it didn't have to clowns bugging the heck out of it :)

huggie

you might try going to www.karensroseanemones.com she does have pics.
of an anemone twisting just like to said,and she said it is normal for them to
do this.
I'm sure she knows how to help you with what your anemones is going through. it's worth a try.

lexluethar

UPDATE:
The anemone looks more and more healthy every day. It finally attached to some rockwork (before it was chillin in the sand). Although it hasn't yet attached by its foot... well what i think is its new foot at least. The sides of the anemone have attached to the rockwork extremely close to its old spot. So all-in-all i think everything will be okay.
As for the foot, it is starting to bubble up and looks larger (more matter) then it was a few days ago. there also seems to be a white formation at the top - i'm wondering if it will develope a new mouth...
I'm extremely excited to see if it develops into a new anemone.

kingsmith

I you do see a mouth on it try feeding it with something that is very finely chopped or liquid. When I started injecting Microvert into my condi with no tenticles it had small ones the next day so I increased the feeding and they came back within three days.

shrimpi

this is too cool! I remember back when you posted about your anemone twisting like that. Its weird that it split top from bottom
But it seems like the stub of the foot that he left may actually be turning into a clone like perfectdark said.
I wonder if he will split like this again in the future? I mean, you said he isnt far from his original spot so he will probably twist again and itll happen again.
Very cool! Nature can be so unique

Keep us updated! if you can get pics that would be awesome too
Jess

lexluethar

Will do, no real change since last post. The foot has bubbled up a little more, but hasn't formed a mouth (that i can see) or tenticles. The whole anemone has totally healed but has yet to stay in one spot. It really doesn't 'walk' with its foot like when i first purchased it. It more moves along the rockwork with its body sticking to the rocks.
I'll keep you guys posted. Ya, very strange that the twisted ended up causing a split.

mfountan56

Mine just twisted it;s foot today and I was extremely worried about him but I feel better now after reading all your replies. Should I try to feed him he would not eat last night ? THANKS

flower

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfountan56 http:///t/337281/anemone-issues#post_3521066
Mine just twisted it;s foot today and I was extremely worried about him but I feel better now after reading all your replies. Should I try to feed him he would not eat last night ? THANKS
Hi,
Welcome to the site....this post is from 2008.
Exactly what is your anemone doing?

perfectdark

Wow, blast from the past. I have not visited this site since about 2008. And in the last few months I have received 3 subscription notifications in my inbox from old posts. While I haven't been here in a while this is still a hobby for me and has been since 2007. I would need more info to give you better advise. What kind of anemone is it? How long have you had it? When was the last time you fed it and it ate? What is your set up lighting, tank size etc...also what are you trying to feed it? How long has the tank been set up? If its not eating...then dont feed it. Anemones do not rely on feedings alone to keep their health. Lighting plays a much larger role in that then feedings do. They do enjoy being fed but there are limits and guidelines I would recommend following to ensure that the anemone is not being stressed.
Cheers.

mfountan56

The tank is 55 gal I have brand new lighting with day and moonlight in the same unit I had him about a month he has now untwisted and is eating again i feed everyday 3 days krill or shrimp he seem to be ok if he doesnt eat i figure hes not hungry. it is a anew tank been running about 3 months All levels are perfect This is my first saltwater I have always had freshwater. I have been going slow first 1 mth no livestock just live rock and sand then snails and hermits 2 each then only 2 fish and 2 more now the anemone and urchin about thee same size i just have 1 coral don't know its name Any suggestions are greatly appreciated The fish are 2 small damsels and 2 clowns

perfectdark

I would say before the introduction of the anemone you were going at a nice pace. Opinions vary but the majority will agree your tank is far to new to add an anemone. Having said that, the most important factors in keeping an anemone is knowing what species you have, what their tolerances are, supplying ample lighting for them and offering them a stable habitat, which typically starts with a more seasoned tank than yours. I am assuming you meant to say that you feed every 3 days? In any species of anemone thats a bit of over kill. Once a week is plenty. Some feed once a month even and that is perfectly fine too, if your lighting is sufficient. Do you know what kind of an anemone it is? If not perhaps a picture? What type of lighting do you have? Unfortunately brand new lighting with daylight and moonlight LED's doesn't really tell me much. Does the fixture have standard fluorescent bulbs, t-5 fluorescent, halides or all LED's? I'm glad to hear that its doing better, but just FYI it may not stay that way.
Hope this helps.

tthemadd1

Anemones can be very weird creatures.
Some days they are blown up like balloons, other days moving around to get comfy, some days they compress every ounce of water from their bodies.
They split when they are happy, they split when they are stressed. Just another reason why the ocean holds such mysteries to this day.
The best thing you can do is be patient and see if things equalize.