Anemone Lighting

jeanheckle

Is T5 lighting enough for an anemone or do they need MH? I want to get an anemone for my 29 gallon tank and am doing my research before getting anything.

reefereric

I'll offer my two cents worth. I have a 55 gallon with 4x65 PCs on it (2 actinic, 2 10000k) and have kept all types of anemones under that. I don't seem to have much trouble keeping anything under my PCs. So I would think you'd be ok. It may not split fast (everything in my tank grows fairly slow, but I like it that way!), but it'll probably live just dandy!
I bet I get flamed for saynig that...

But seriously, I know lighting is a great thing, and I agree... Just never had a need for more than I have! I'm anti-sps, so that may explain it!

perfectdark

Originally Posted by ReeferEric
http:///forum/post/2788791
I'll offer my two cents worth. I have a 55 gallon with 4x65 PCs on it (2 actinic, 2 10000k) and have kept all types of anemones could you elaborate on what all types are?under thatFor How long?. I don't seem to have much troubleworried about this statement keeping anything under my PCs. So I would think you'd be ok. It may not split fast Something you dont want to see anyway(everything in my tank grows fairly slow, but I like it that way!), but it'll probably live just dandy!
I bet I get flamed for saynig that...

But seriously, I know lighting is a great thing, and I agree... Just never had a need for more than I have! I'm anti-sps, so that may explain it!
Sorry to say very poor advice, some species of anemone can thrive on less intense light than MH. However this is not unconditional. If certain requirements are not met, and or you have aquired a species that needs very intense lighting and do not have it, you will not have long term success.
Over a 29gal tank IMO yes a good quality HO-T5 individually reflected fixture will support some anemones not ALL Anemones. I would also recommend a 6 bulb fixture with 4 10k daylights and 2 actinics. That amount would be sufficient for a bubble tip anemone. And as far as what anemone to get, that would be the only one I would suggest for a tank that size. Good Luck.

jeanheckle

Originally Posted by PerfectDark
http:///forum/post/2788812
Sorry to say very poor advice, some species of anemone can thrive on less intense light than MH. However this is not unconditional. If certain requirements are not met, and or you have aquired a species that needs very intense lighting and do not have it, you will not have long term success.
Over a 29gal tank IMO yes a good quality HO-T5 individually reflected fixture will support some anemones not ALL Anemones. I would also recommend a 6 bulb fixture with 4 10k daylights and 2 actinics. That amount would be sufficient for a bubble tip anemone. And as far as what anemone to get, that would be the only one I would suggest for a tank that size. Good Luck.
Thanks for the advice, that's why I'm asking before I get any.

jeanheckle

I will wait the time I need to. I just don't understand why the wait, if they are photosynthetic, is the wait just to assure the tanks stablility?

perfectdark

Originally Posted by jeanheckle
http:///forum/post/2799987
I will wait the time I need to. I just don't understand why the wait, if they are photosynthetic, is the wait just to assure the tanks stablility?
Yes... as important as tank stablility is, the time line is also for the benifit of the hobbiest to become more seasoned and familiar with his or her tank. Hopefully by that time most if not all JV mistakes will have been made and the probability for error is diminished greatly. Good Luck.

irocz2280

Individual reflectors ,why is that better than having one big reflector? Is it because the light is more focused? Why would that be better if you want the tank lit as a whole? Is it similar to spot light as opposed to flood light?