Anemone not as 'full' as he was

rip

I bought an anemone several months ago I believe it was labeled a 'purple sebae'. He seems to be doing fine but he is just not as 'full' looking as he was when I bought him. There was a clown fish that was using him as a home so I went ahead and bought both. I changed my lighting to a 50/50 coral life when I bought him. I checked the water and all seems fine. The clown fish does not hang around him much anymore because he does not open up enough for him to settle in. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks
:confused:

ebeckels

sebae anemones are difficult to keep by many people in the home aquarium. Some can do it, but most have their anemones die off within a year. I'd make sure you feed him at least twice a week and make sure that you have plenty of wattage on the tank. Other than that..make sure your water quality is excellent...and then hope and pray!

q

Lighting and feeding are key. Some will argue on the intensity of light saying that if you feed enough it deosn't matter as much. I would feed every couple of days or more until you start to see it bloated then cut back.
Give your full tank set-up. It will help.

robinfly

Don't Sebae anemonies require a low temperature tank? I was drooling over a purple tipped Sebae a while back at my lfs, but they told me I'd need to keep my tank's temperature in the low 70's.
I kinda wrote off the possibility of keeping those animals without doing further research. Is this true or can they be kept in a standard ~80F reef?

bluewater

I don't know about the light issue. My BTA
likes to hang out in the darkest spots
possible in my tank. Under cracks, back of
tank, or away from light. It won't open in
light. It tripples it size at night and goes
fully extended then