Anemone Questions/Help!

chaseter

All params are good. My LFS had him on sale and it was too good a price to pass up. I just got him yesterday so I dripped acclimated and he was a little shriveled when I put him in, closed up when I turned off the lights, and opened up a little bit today. My other two coral frags I got are doing wonderful. My lights are the stock lights that came with my biocube 14 = 24-10,000k. My LFS said he should do fine.
Is he just getting use to my tank, is that normal? I wasn't going to get an anemone at all but he is so small and I wanted my clowns to live long and happy lives when I get them so I wanted the anemone to get established and find a good spot so I would know where I could add corals without him stinging them.
Here is a pic

What should I do? Any help is appreciated. I am getting the biocube protein skimmer to help him out in the waste department.

maryg

What kinda lights do you have. Are they power compacts? If so they will not be enough to suffice a photosynthetic animal such as an anenome. Or, maybe it is still aclimating.

chaseter

Originally Posted by chaseter
http:///forum/post/3105216
My anemone looked dead so I tossed him.

Thanks for all the help...cough.

Originally Posted by MaryG

http:///forum/post/3105230
What kinda lights do you have. Are they power compacts? If so they will not be enough to suffice a photosynthetic animal such as an anenome. Or, maybe it is still aclimating
Nope.
But thanks anyways.

meowzer

Sorry you didn't get the help a couple of days ago...sometimes threads just fall thru the cracks
Anemones don't usually die that fast unless it was sickly to begin with......believe me...I have killed my fair share....
IDK what your stock lights are...if they are pc, they are not strong enough to keep an anemone
Again...sorry for your loss of the anemone

d-dzel

Anemones require a lot more light then what you have with the stock lights. That anemone itself looks like it was still acclimating, considering you already threw it out I'm sure you killed it that way. Next time let it settle for a couple of weeks as they take a while to acclimate. One of my BTA spend over a month moving all around the tank and it looked like that one in that pic and even worse sometimes at the beginning.
Was this anemone in the nano you just set up by the end of last month? That tank is way to new for an anemone if it was in there.
By parameters all good, what are your reading on these?
You do not really need a protein skimmer as long as you do weekly/bi-weekly water changes.
Take it slowly instead of just buying livestock just for being cheap and do some research first. Trust me, we spend a lot of money on this and not just to throw it away

Just wait out if no one responds right away, it takes a little while, but people here are nice enough to help out