anemone questions

tjohnson139

Hey. I'm hoping someone can help me with an anemone question.
I just bought a bubble-tip anemone a few days ago. I put it at a high point in my tank so it'd be close to the light. It doesn't like it up there and moves down underneath a rock. It almost looks like it's hiding down there. I moved the rock and changed the powerheads thinking maybe it was a flow issue, but it moved right back. It doesn't get nearly the light that I would think it should.
Furthermore, it flushes itself and closes up for several hours every day. From reading previous posts, it sounds like that may be abnormal.
I know anemones need strong lighting - so why is it hiding under the shadow of a rock? Will it get enough light there? Is it normal to close up like that?
I don't have MH, but I have a fairly small tank. A lot of people have told me that PCs are fine for my size tank. I have 96W Actinic PC and 96W white PC. Salinity is 1.025, temp 75 and all other levels are perfect.
I would appreciate any help anyone can give me. Thanks.

T

thomas712

Sound like normal behavior for the BTA right now. Remember its not just acclimating to your water but also light acclimating. Once a couple of weeks go by he may do anything like, move up or down or anywhere in the tank. Just give him time.
I do have one that always hides at night, just simply gone. But when my 940 watts are blaring he jumps right up big and strong from behind a rock.
Good luck
Thomas

jimosburg

mine was doing the same thing. Hid under a rock, I flipped the rock over and it went right back underneath. Shriveled up and green a lot of the time. Seemed to come out later in the evening. It finally came up and showed itself but still deflated. I just let it go. It just moved over to other side of tank. Now staying out more. I guess it just needs time to do its own thing. Good luck.