Anemone splitting or sick???

dmschiff

The last few days I noticed a few hermit crabs hanging close to our BTA. Originally I thought it was trying to get the anemone's food. Today, the BTA looked great all sprawled out, not bubbled, but very full. An hour later, the mouth was wide open. Kind of slit like, but at least 3-4 inches long. AS of tonight, I'm fairly certain it's splitting. My concern is that a few of the hermits are climbing on it. Is the BTA sick, or are they just going for the torn flesh that may be occuring do to the split?

perfectdark

Originally Posted by dmschiff
http:///forum/post/2579208
The last few days I noticed a few hermit crabs hanging close to our BTA. Originally I thought it was trying to get the anemone's food. Today, the BTA looked great all sprawled out, not bubbled, but very full. An hour later, the mouth was wide open. Kind of slit like, but at least 3-4 inches long. AS of tonight, I'm fairly certain it's splitting. My concern is that a few of the hermits are climbing on it. Is the BTA sick, or are they just going for the torn flesh that may be occuring do to the split?
Most likley just scavaging. Keep an eye on it, splitting is stressful to them, but if your water is healthy you should make out fine.