Anemone under bridged rock

BanditMan15

Shes under a bridged rock with only arms coming through rock facing... Something I need to worry about? PH 8.4 NI 0ppm
Trate 20-35 ppm 1.025 salt 6 row t5 lighting

geridoc

There is only one guarantee with anemones - they will choose a place that you would never choose for it: generally hidden from view:(

flower

There is only one guarantee with anemones - they will choose a place that you would never choose for it: generally hidden from view:(
Yes indeed. They have no eyes or brain, just a mouth and an anus... they follow the water flow, so you might try and readjust the power heads. Also remember to cover all intake tubes and power heads, since they follow the water flow, they often tend to get sucked up into them.

BanditMan15

Could a bad algae problem affect where it lays? I have red algae growing everywhere but it's the kind that if you wave you hand on rocks it will remove. I have a phosphate reactor phosphate/nitrate removers lights are on about 12 hr days blue light for majority and white light about 8 of that 12

pegasus

Not likely a red algae. It's probably cyanobacteria... aka.. red slime. There are chemicals that can help get rid of it, but most people try to avoid using chemicals in their tanks. Cyano tends to grow best in areas of low flow. Increasing the flow, and siphoning out as much as you can will help tremendously.

lmforbis

I had the same algae tried for 2 months to get ahead of it. It disappeared at night and was back as son as the lights came on. I ended up using chemiclean a couple weeks ago. After second dose it was improving but not gone. After another week or so it was gone. Down side is skimmer went crazy.

BanditMan15

I had the same algae tried for 2 months to get ahead of it. It disappeared at night and was back as son as the lights came on. I ended up using chemiclean a couple weeks ago. After second dose it was improving but not gone. After another week or so it was gone. Down side is skimmer went crazy.
Did you end up turning skimmer off?

pegasus

It's important that you keep your skimmer running through the treatment process, as this is what removes the bacteria from the system... as well as oxygenates the water, which is extremely important.

lmforbis

I left the skimmer running in sump but took off the collection cup. Because of the oxygen issue. It just ran over into the sump. You can also use an air pump and air stone.

geridoc

Cyanobacteria are an extremely primitive form, and can be a pain in the you know where. Good flow, low nutrient in the water, competition from macro algae, reduced lighting and erythromycin are all effective, some faster than others. I prefer to go the slower tank-management route by directing flow over the hot spots, skimming heavily, running an algae scrubber and keeping my lighting limited (I concentrate on the actinic end of the psectrum for most of the time since cyanobacteria can't use these wavelengths, and the fish don't care. You can illuminate more broadly after you get the cyano under control.

BanditMan15

Cyanobacteria are an extremely primitive form, and can be a pain in the you know where. Good flow, low nutrient in the water, competition from macro algae, reduced lighting and erythromycin are all effective, some faster than others. I prefer to go the slower tank-management route by directing flow over the hot spots, skimming heavily, running an algae scrubber and keeping my lighting limited (I concentrate on the actinic end of the psectrum for most of the time since cyanobacteria can't use these wavelengths, and the fish don't care. You can illuminate more broadly after you get the cyano under control.
I am doing all this except actinic spectrum end... I have couple soft corals in my tank will it hurt to keep lights off longer? Say only keep lights on for 6-8 hr days. I use a 6 row white/blue lighting .. Keep blues on ?

flower

I am doing all this except actinic spectrum end... I have couple soft corals in my tank will it hurt to keep lights off longer? Say only keep lights on for 6-8 hr days. I use a 6 row white/blue lighting .. Keep blues on ?
Hi,

I never heard of a HOB sump, the SUMP is gravity fed and stays below the display tank... do you mean a HOB filter, or maybe a HOB refugium?
Instead of worrying about the lights...concern yourself with controlling the nutrients. Do more water changes, increase the water flow to that area of the tank, and keep phosphates and nitrates at 0. Unless you control the nutrients, you won't ever get rid of the cyano...it's feeding on it. With corals you can't cut off the lights long enough to try and control the stuff, as soon as the lights go back on...it grows again. So you need to control the stuff it feeds on, water changes, skimmer, or HOB refugium with macroalgae are the answers you need to look into.

BanditMan15

Hi,

I never heard of a HOB sump, the SUMP is gravity fed and stays below the display tank... do you mean a HOB filter, or maybe a HOB refugium?
Instead of worrying about the lights...concern yourself with controlling the nutrients. Do more water changes, increase the water flow to that area of the tank, and keep phosphates and nitrates at 0. Unless you control the nutrients, you won't ever get rid of the cyano...it's feeding on it. With corals you can't cut off the lights long enough to try and control the stuff, as soon as the lights go back on...it grows again. So you need to control the stuff it feeds on, water changes, skimmer, or HOB refugium with macroalgae are the answers you need to look into.
Thanks flower! I have skimmer at full blast pretty much and water changes are almost 2 times a week 5 -10 gallon I have a phosphate reactor HOB but have not tried the refugium yet.... All of HOB is because I have yet to build a sump... How long you leave lights on for flower?