Anemone's Diet....

misty927

What should I feed my two new anemones? One is a small, white bulb...the other is a large sebae. Also, what strength of current or water movement do these anemones prefer? Thanks so much! :)

I do know that the sabae likes a medium current... I am not sure about the white bulb. They like shrimp to eat. If u go to the main page of saltwaterfish.com it will tell you everything u neeed to know about how to care for them, what they like to eat, and current.
Also, you can place an anenome on one side of the tank, but if it doesnt like it their, it will move to where ever it wants! Don't try to force it to sit where you want it to because forcing the anenome may kill it. I have a green tip sabae anenome and it moved all around the tank until it found where it wanted to sit!! Good luck!

misty927

How exactly do I feed the anemone? Do I use a syringe or turkey baster type deal and just spray the food near its mouth or what?

misty927

How exactly do I feed the anemone? Do I use a syringe or turkey baster type deal and just spray the food near its mouth or what?

serpent

You can use either one of those. I don't know how big you tank is or anything, but the goal of it is to place the food directly in front of the anemone. They will catch the food in their tenticles and proceed to eat it. What type of lights do you have for the sabea?
[ May 09, 2001: Message edited by: serpent ]

serpent

I didn't get to finish the last part of my reply. The anemone does need a good light source, because they feed off of zooxanthellae. You will notice this in the sabea, because he will start changing colors. You will need to feed them the shrimp about once a month and the rest of the time, they will feed off of the light. HTH and sorry that this wasn't contained in the initial reply.

mr_kyle_2001

You should vary their diet. Feed small pieces of fresh shrimp, scallops or squid. Feed them a Formula 1 cube about every other feeding to keep it healthy. You can also feed them silversides. This is how I keep my anemones happy!
ps - to feed them just reach into the tank and place the food somewhere near its mouth and it should do the rest
[ May 10, 2001: Message edited by: mr_kyle_2001 ]