Anemones for Beginnners

I've got a Ocellaris Percula in a 55 gal. aquarium. What is the best anemone for beginners like me? One that won't movea round, harddy and would host my O. Percula...please advise. Thanks

viper_930

What lighting setup do you have?
How long has the tank been setup?
Every anemone might move around the tank. If you have enough lights and the tank has been established long enough, a bubble-tip anemone is always a good anemone to start with.

T

thomas712

I would also want to know if you had a sand substrate and plenty of live rock.
Those two things will also affect what type of anemone to have.
STill lighting is the main worry for any anemone.
Thomas

I've got 4-65 watts PCs, 2-Actinics and 2 Whites, tanks is 6 weeks old, got a 1-1/4 " LS...do you think a bubble tip would host my adult O. percula?

bobbyzat

Sounds to me like your light may be a bit weak, and you tank is way too young to have an anemone yet. Best bet is to be patient, and not sacrafice the creature. Also remember clowns don't need anemones, although it is cool to see, but many never host at all. If anything, you might try a hardy soft coral like a leather or mushroom, many clowns have been known to host those, and they are much better candidates for your low/med light young setup. Good luck.

Thanks for the advise. I used to have a Torch coralyears ago and it hosted my Perky. Do you think I'm ready for another Torch Coral.. I saw one from LFS...Whenever I see that , I drool...wish noone would buy it yet. The lfs also told me that my tank is still young....please comment...:notsure:

T

thomas712

I think your lighting would be fine for a Bubble tip and yes the Ocellaris clownfish can host with it.
As for the age of your tank your LFS is correct, you should wait at least 6 months for the tank to stablize and age properly.
In the meantime you should try to locate a source for tank raised bubble tips.
Once again sand and plenty of live rock is necessary.
Thomas

bergamer

Something'sFishy
I have a LT under 4 x 65 watt 10k bulbs, same light as yours and its been doing great for almost a year