Anemones in a reef?

cwhite

Just wanted to get some opinions - do you guys have anemones in your reef. I have heard that they roam around while roaming can sting other corals. I have also read that they are a mstake for most reef setups.

blondenaso1

There has been a lot of talk about this subject rescently. I guess the conclusion was that Yes, anemones can be kept, but No the shouldn't be kept because most people are not able to provide the care needed for their survival. Lighting is a major factor in this. The do tend to roam until they find a cumfy spot, but they require strong lighting. They eon't really "harm" anything in the tank. I really don't know where everyone left it. If you want to get one try a bubble tip. They are pretty hardy, but makesure they have good light. Also, if the reason you a getting one is for a clown, then clown don't NEED an anemone to lead a happy life.

Ok yes anemones do move around alot but I really don't see any problem in keeping them in a reef. I have to disagree with you blondnaso about them needing alot of light though. I think yes some need alot more light than others. But I have three rock anemones in my tank which are doing great and I only have 120w of regular flourescent lighting in a 30g tank.

kelly

CWhite,Goldfish and BlondeNaso1,
Certain anenomes need more lighting than others, I am not sure if Chevron Tang means flower anenomes rather than rock anenomes, but mine seems to do ok with 120W of fluorescent lighting in an 80 gallon tank.
I have a curlique anenome that has been in my tank for several years, it lived most of that time under 2 40W fluorescent bulbs.(Just added 1 more at Christmas)
Years ago, I had one anenome that move around the tank looking for a place to "settle in", and it killed quite a few things. It did not take long for me to get rid of it. It totally wiped out group of mushrooms commonly called "Lavender rock". The rock was beautiful, and it killed every one on the rock, luckily one polyp had fallen to the bottom of the tank, so I still have some today.
I have read posts on here from divers that say anenomes are not found on the reefs where they dive. Alot of anenomes die at the hands of us without enough experience to keep them, and should be avoided.

mlm

The Rock Annenomie that she is talking about is different than Aipista (sp).

justinl

Both the Long Tentacle and Bubble Tips I've had have moved around in the tank and done their share of damage to some nice corals I had. I had a carpet that stayed near the bottom ofthe tank but it was so big that it was able to reach some of my corals and sting them also.
My suggestion, choose one or the other- corals or anemones. Anemone's are a pain for the most part. They move where they want to, are hard to get off of rocks, and can eat your fish- especially carpets! If you're worried that a clown won't be happy without one, don't be. Clownfish have been known to adopt corals instead, and really don't need an anemone to be happy.